Tyrell by Coe Booth | Teen Ink

Tyrell by Coe Booth

By Gonzalez-Gutierrez BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Gonzalez-Gutierrez BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"graduating is harder than crossing the border"

“I really wanna put my fist through the wall. I can’t calm myself down. I can feel the blood pounding in my brain. I gotta do something.” In Coe Booth’s book living through poverty is tough. This book made me understand that living through poverty isn’t easy.

Tyrell is 14 broke and homeless with a mom who refuses to take care of his little brother. His pops is in jail and his girlfriend Novisha wants more than he can give her. Tyrell’s moms use to have a job and they use to live in an apartment and after his pops got locked up his moms lost her job she started to lose it, now they live in shelter homes

Tyrell’s moms wants him to make money in anyway that he possibly can. Tyrell doesn’t want to sell drugs he doesn’t want to get locked up like his pops.

Tyrell comes up with a plan to make money that could save him or backfire him completely. Tyrell doesn’t have a choice with everyone relying on him.Tyrell is smart he plans how to make money without getting himself get arrested.

Before reading this book i didn’t think living in poverty would cause this much stress It’s tough living in poverty. I would recommend this book for those who don’t know how living in poverty is like and i also recommend this book for those who do live in poverty this book might teach you something and realize more about those who live in poverty.

I really like this book because it taught me how people who live in poverty live in a tough, hard life.