If I Grow up by Todd Strasser | Teen Ink

If I Grow up by Todd Strasser

January 24, 2017
By JackieVang15 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
JackieVang15 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
if you cant go right, go left


This book is about gangs that you got no choice what you want to do. Drugs, guns, lifes, and money is what people want and is about in this book also. You will always beware around you because people that you know could  turn on you. Deshawn is the main person in this story, he’s bored with gangs in house and neighborhoods. He doesn’t want to be like a gangbanger because they would just be dead or in jail.

At the age of 12, that when everything starts, Deshawn was division between black and white , rich, and poor. Begin at birth and reinforced every day of a child’s life. At age 13, the  United States was becoming  racially segregated. And it talks about his age until age 17, he would have to spent most of his life in gang paradise.

“If u were in a gang there is no way out.”I had heard this in the book and outside that for me if I was into a gang their would be a way to get out to me because life is short and people can’t have yourself. Where Deshawn had seen dead bodies  where he has  heard guns shot every day.

This book taught me by what you should do if it happens to you. Dashawn have been lied to in this book and people he knows had been killed also. Like I remember there were one part that his friend have been shot dead and the last words he spoke to him was “ do what have to do.” this quote met something great for him because not everyone have last words from people great that away. Trust the people who would die for you and be there if something happens. Trust your people if you are in a gang.


The author's comments:

this book might have change yourself if it possible and also a great book to read about gangs life