Ferris Bueller Deserves a Day Off | Teen Ink

Ferris Bueller Deserves a Day Off

By CHammond BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
CHammond BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

The brave may not live long but the cautious never live.

Every teenager no matter how much they deny it has some time or another longed to rebel against authority. This desire only grows as us teenagers are forced to spend seven to eight hours a day in a stuffy room with our peers being educated about something they we are convinced will never become useful in our adult life. We all want nothing more than to be independent and not be forced to abide by the rules. We want to be in control. What about the consequences, though?

In the 1980’s there was quite an uproar of teenage angst and rebellion movies. Film after film came out displaying teenagers who break the rules and go on an adventure. The adventure was the most appealing part of the teen’s defiance. It provided the opportunity to go and do something exciting they’d never dreamt of doing before.

John Hughes’ film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off painted a picture in teenager’s heads of the perfect rebellion. Ferris Bueller plays sick for a day and convinces his best friend Cameron and girlfriend to accompany him. They head to New York City. Meanwhile back home in Ferris’ absence the school has made a fundraiser to help Ferris’ “illness;” however, his principle has an inkling as to what is actually going on.

The movie focuses on Ferris and his friends’ adventures throughout the day as they dodge encounters with Ferris’ dad and their principal. From stealing Cameron’s father’s 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California to lip syncing “twist and shout” on a parade float to witty one liners, this movie has nonstop action. You easily get to know these characters and feel with them. As Cameron deals with neglect from his father, you can’t help but feel sad with him. No matter what year, 1986 or 2014, this movie will be a classic. It displays what teens are always feeling and always wanting to do; although, without the consequences. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off was perfectly directed, perfectly casted, and perfectly produced. This film truly takes you along for the adventure.