Fury | Teen Ink

Fury

By McSucher GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
McSucher GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

People may be wondering, how good is “Fury”? Well, it’s like “Saving Private Ryan” of 2014. Some can argue, but this essay is a list of dialectics of how much I like it. My favorite is  “Fury” and I have three main reasons why. The World War two theme, the storyline and the action are just some. Each of those reasons have several example explaining why. Just like “Saving Private Ryan” this movie takes place during World War two. 

“Fury”s accuracy of events, names and objects is almost spot on. World war 2 is one of my favorite eras in history and that alone is half the reason I love “Fury”. Some facts in the movie are non-practical. For example, the time for a real king Tiger’s turret to spin around is extremely slow, but according to the movie the turret turns at 50 mph which is just plain fiction.  The Fury crew owns a M4A3 “Firefly” sherman tank, which definitely did not exist in North Africa 1941. That tank was an experiment to give the regular sherman tank a bigger armament, and it happened in 1944. 4 years after the crew received theirs. Despite these negative reasons this movie’s storyline overall matches world war 2 perfectly.

The storyline is excellent and it just makes sense. The stories exposition begins in Germany 1945 and a tank crew named Fury have been fighting in the war since North Africa. They watched as other tank crews fall beside them, but they remained victorious. In Germany the Fury crew finally lost one of its members in a battle and receive a new member named Norman with no fighting experience. The member finally gets comfortable with everyone else, but then during the climax when they battle a German king Tiger and lose their entire platoon of tanks and the Fury crew remains untouched and go on to their “next” battle. Ironically, the resolution ends with everyone in the Fury crew died except Norman. The Exposition, climax, antagonist and protagonist can be easily identified. Within the storyline the action is immense.

The action of this movie is perfect, not too much not too little. There are 3 major battles in this movie, the saving soldiers offensive, king Tiger tank duo and the grand finale, the SS defencive. The saving soldiers offensive is the first major battle of the movie and what happens is the Fury crew and 3 other tank go retrieve pinned down foot-soldiers and kill the remaining german forces in that woodland area. There were a few times where the Fury crew almost got obliterated by german panzerfaust rocket launchers. After that intense battle there is a “breather” between the first and second battle. When it comes the second battle, it’s just the 4 main sherman tanks versus a king german Tiger tank. The outcome of this battle is the other Sherman tanks are destroyed, the Tiger is wiped out, and the only tank surviving is Fury. The last battle is quite a show. A german SS platoon comes across the Fury crew and the fight to the death begins. The activity in this movie is insane and there is the right amount of action for a perfect movie.

The storyline, the theme of world war 2, and the action makes this my favorite movie. Now everyone knows why “Fury” is my favorite movie. “Before this war ends, a lot more people gotta die”. This is an explanation quote the tank commander Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) says to his crew which means that things are never easy . I think “Fury” is the “Saving Private Ryan” of 2014 because it’s so good. Until a better movie comes out or until I get sick of it, this movie will continue to be my favorite movie.