Evanescence – | Teen Ink

Evanescence – MAG

November 9, 2008
By Anonymous

In a world of over-processed voices and vulgar lyrics, finding real music is almost ­impossible, especially metal. Everywhere you turn, you see media drones smiling from the covers of CDs. Evanescence is a gothic metal act that has managed to stay true to itself and gained huge popularity. With its soulful blend of electric guitar, rhythmic piano, and mournful lyrics, it's easy to see why it's one of the best acts out there.

Amy Lee, the lead singer and songwriter, adds strong yet smooth vocals for a flawless finish. Though Evanescence is a relatively new band, they've gained a loyal following.

“Fallen” is by far the best and won them two Grammys for “Best New Artist” and “Best Hard Rock Performance” (for the song “Bring Me to Life”). It features other hits like “Going Under” and “My Last Breath.” These days, many songs are plagued by crude and pointless lyrics. The songs here reflect a multitude of emotions. Whether it's unrequited love or grief, Lee's voice portrays it.

I first picked up this CD because of the cover: a somewhat creepy picture of Lee's head in black and neon blue. Ever since, I've been enthralled by songs like “Tourniquet,” a stirring tale of betrayal and lost love, and “My Immortal,” an emotional blend of soft piano and somber lyrics.

Evanescence's songs appeal to gothic music fans everywhere, but they're not too hardcore for those unfamiliar with the genre. This album is truly a must-listen for anyone looking for something dark and emotive amidst a sea of substandard bubble-gum pop.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 55 comments.


on Nov. 6 2010 at 10:30 pm
claire-baire BRONZE, Lafayette, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
you wouldn't have to get over me if you were still under me

I first came to Evanescence when I was 10 years old and I fell in love with them. They have introduced me to new types of music like gothic and emo and metal. That is now my favorite genres.

on Aug. 31 2010 at 4:51 pm
WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio
32 articles 2 photos 198 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

I have never been a fan of the dark, punk, Gothic-like music, but somehow Evanescence captured my heart from the beginning. The flavor of Lee's songs are noticeably different from most Goth music, and on top of that she has a gorgeous angelic voice. Evanescence is one of my favorite groups.

on Aug. 20 2010 at 8:58 am
InkDance PLATINUM, Sylvania, Ohio
31 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
The only difference between highschoolers and preschoolers is that preschoolers get naptime.

This article made me actually want to go and look up some songs by Evanescence...I'm going to do that right now, actually. Fantastic job!

on Jul. 21 2010 at 9:31 pm

I <3333 Evanescence

My faves are Hello, Lithium, and Lose Control(:


on Jun. 7 2010 at 11:21 am
Angelkiss415 SILVER, Dewsbury, Other
9 articles 0 photos 19 comments
I like evanscence and I think by far this is the best album they have ever done. My favourite is taking over from that album.

on May. 21 2010 at 7:05 pm
MajaOrlowska BRONZE, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
2 articles 2 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Though the sun is gone, I have a light." - Kurt Cobain
"All we are saying is give peace a chance." - John Lennon

Actually, Evanescence is a metal band. Maybe a lot of their songs aren't completely hardcore, but Evanescence would be tagged as a gothic metal band.

amachii GOLD said...
on Apr. 29 2010 at 3:13 pm
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York
11 articles 0 photos 205 comments

Favorite Quote:
"ganbaranakutemo ee nende!" (It's okay even if you didn't do your best!) -Smileage/Tsunku

nice review! i love the song "bring me to life", and amy has an amazing voice, even LIVE! :)

on Apr. 21 2010 at 3:07 pm
AnonyMOUSE BRONZE, Canon City, Colorado
1 article 5 photos 27 comments
As much as I do like this album, I have to argue the fact that yes, it is gothic, but no, it is not metal. This is a little thing we metal musicians like to call "Hard Rock". Actually, for us fans of Hardcore, Screamo, Metalcore and the like are normally turned off by the very mention of the words "Hard Rock". Nevertheless, I agree this is a very powerful album, it has great riffs, and insightful lyrics. However, I could definately have done with out the special Twelve Stones rapping appearance in "Bring Me To Life" I think that Rap and Metal should stay in their own compartments, because when they mix they make me want to vomit. Rap Metal, *shudders*

on Feb. 25 2010 at 10:32 am
WitnessingStarlight SILVER, Delta, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All stars dim at some point in their existance."

Amy Lee portrays true beauty.

Evanescence is an extremely talented band, and I agree with everything written in this review. It's written very well, might I add. (:

on Dec. 27 2009 at 1:08 pm
Vexa_Rave SILVER, Mt. Clare, West Virginia
9 articles 0 photos 57 comments
First of all, who cares what genre they're considered? What matters is the music, not whether they're considered "metal" or "hard rock" or "bubblegum pop." Secondly, she was only expressing her opinion. Give her a break. Not everyone has to agree with you.

on Dec. 27 2009 at 1:04 pm
Vexa_Rave SILVER, Mt. Clare, West Virginia
9 articles 0 photos 57 comments
They may not be a totally metal band, but they do have plenty of metal influences.

on Dec. 21 2009 at 7:27 pm
BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge PLATINUM, Gardena, California
32 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be." ~ grandma moses

i love evanescence too. amy lee is one of the best singers in the business. haha my favs include "tourniquet" and "lithium" and of course "my immortal" which i can play on piano. :D

on Dec. 21 2009 at 2:38 pm
me,iwritetwistedromances SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
7 articles 0 photos 7 comments
I classified Evanescence as symphonic metal/ symphonic rock. Regardless of what you classify them as, they ROCK and yet none of us argue that they are awesome.

erinzombie said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 5:17 pm
Hey, this is a personal review. The whole point of this is to express opinion- just because you don't percieve evanescene in the same way as this person doesn't make your opinion right. Obviously this person enjoyed the album and so have others, write your own review.

on Dec. 7 2009 at 12:02 pm
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan
62 articles 1 photo 881 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Some things will never change"---Tupac

i love evanescence. beautiful lyrics, beautiful sound.

on Dec. 1 2009 at 11:49 am
ConstanceScott BRONZE, Marion, South Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 17 comments
I would like to clarify a few things, such as the fact that you described the band as "gothic metal act. " Surely you do not listen to alot of metal because you obviously cannot tell the clear difference.

Second, ever since their album "Fallen" I have not found any new music by them that is half as good. My favorite hard rock radio station even dropped all their songs from their playlist because nobody was requesting them and they took up space. Third, most rock artists consider Evanescence as a band boardering on "Bubble-gum pop." So you see, they are not that unique after all.

on Nov. 20 2009 at 1:59 pm
bagofskittles SILVER, Aurora, Colorado
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments
This was a nice review and I do love this band but I must criticize one thing. EVANESCENCE IS NOT A METAL BAND. I'd say they're a more hard rock band. The instruments are too simply done and the thing that runs the band is Amy Lee. Her voice is beautiful, her piano playing is good, and she puts emotions into her song. But she's not a metal musician. And there is good and meaningful metal music out there such as Nightwish, Otep, Lacuna Coil, and Epica.

on Nov. 7 2009 at 12:16 am
BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge PLATINUM, Gardena, California
32 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be." ~ grandma moses

I <3 Amy Lee's voice. Have you listened to "The Open Door" CD? haha my fav. song from that CD is "Lithium" but nothing can compare to "My Immortal" :]

on Aug. 30 2009 at 10:49 pm
CosmicLove GOLD, Lincoln, Illinois
12 articles 5 photos 26 comments
Great review! And great to see another fan! :D

on Aug. 13 2009 at 12:49 pm
Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
30 articles 0 photos 271 comments
great review! I totally agree. If you like Evanescence, you might like Nightwish and Within Temptation