Homeschooling vs Private Schooling vs Public Schooling | Teen Ink

Homeschooling vs Private Schooling vs Public Schooling

By DavidNorman24 BRONZE, Republic, Missouri
DavidNorman24 BRONZE, Republic, Missouri

With the constant evolution of today's job industry and competition for good colleges, the question comes to many, “what can I do to better myself for my future?” Some simple ways are to review for the classes you have now and take things more of a one year at a time approach. Some people look at more drastic changes, such as what kind of school I am in and how will affect my future. Many people know of Private, Public, and Homeschooling as the three most common styles, what many people don't know is what each of them stands for, what each of them can do for you, and what style is the best fit you.

Public schools have the mass majority of the population. In 2021 public school is projected to have 91% of pre-k through 12th-grade kids. Public school is the most popular because it is regulated by the government and it is not paid for directly which makes it cheaper than private schools. Also, research was conducted by the National Center for Education Statistics, and it was found that public school teachers are more qualified for their job. They are more likely to have a masters degree and to have logged more hours pursuing in-service study learning, for example, how to use the computers and programs that they will be using in the classroom. In the same study, it was also found that students spend 3 more hours per week learning their core subjects (English, math, science and social studies). Trying to stand out? Public school is also good for that, since public schools are normally much bigger than private schools so they can sponsor more activities, and have the people to do it, and public schools are more diverse allowing the different interests of students flow in their own direction.

Private schools are different in that, you have to pay for it directly, and that majority of them are religious, while public schools are not allowed to include religious beliefs. Other benefits include having smaller classes, so it's less likely to get lost in the crowd, and having more time one on one with the teacher. It is found that private schools have a student to teacher ratio of 9:1, while the public schooling ratio is much higher up at 17:1, which is almost double the count of private. With private schools, parent involvement is highly encouraged, making it easy for parents to get involved

3.3% of children were homeschooled 2016, the clear minority. Not only is it the minority, it slightly fell off from 2012, when the percent of homeschooled children was 3.4. When asked why they homeschooled their children, research finds that the most common three reasons are for, the environment of the other schools, for focusing on academics, and for religion. The National Center for Education Statistics found that 11% of all homeschooled kids have parents that can’t speak English.

So, when it comes to deciding what style is best for you and your future, it may not be a quick and not really a simple solution either, so it's always good to know what you are getting yourself into. Public schools have the advantage of being the cheapest, having more of a variety of activities and is normally changing to adapt to best fit for the children. Private Schools have the advantage by having the capability of bringing religion into education, which is important to many, and not as regulated into what you have to study and can point you more of a specific direction, also Private schools have heavy parent involvement, but has a downside of being more expensive. Homeschooling is great if you have someone that knows how to teach well and, but unfortunately, in several situations, Homeschooling fails to teach the students enough to have a successful college career.

I am doing a project for my English class where we make an essay, poem, etc. and once we are done we find a website to publish it on, I googled teen publishing sites and wound up here.