SEC vs. Bernie Madoff: How Madoff Fooled The World | Teen Ink

SEC vs. Bernie Madoff: How Madoff Fooled The World

By JackySun SILVER, Blairstown, New Jersey
JackySun SILVER, Blairstown, New Jersey

Bernie Madoff first founded the Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC as a broker-dealer for penny stocks with $5,000 as his legitimate business. Initially, the firm made markets as it “functioned as a third market trading provider, bypassing exchange specialist firms by directly executing orders over the counter from retail brokers”(Wikipedia). Nevertheless, another principal business, investment management and advisory, which was not publicized, was the focus of his fraud.

The Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme, which branched off from his legitimate stock-broker business to be one of the largest and most infamous financial frauds in history, mainly leverages Madoff’s reputable status in the financial community he had built up in his earlier career. From the initial legitimate brokerage firm, BLMIS, known for its innovative technology in electronic trading and market-making, Madoff began to shift his business focus towards investments for what he claimed to be a high-performing investment advisory business.  He promised consistently high returns, which he achieved not through legitimate investments but by using funds from new investors to pay returns to earlier investors. The ponzi scheme essentially is an endless cycle of paying existing investors with the money derived from continuous investments from new clients. In other words, the only requisite for the scheme is the continuous inflow of clients' investmnents. As more individuals, charities, and institutional investors were drawn by the allure of unrealistic steady returns, the scheme grew exponentially. He promised “ to use investor funds to purchase shares of common stock, options, and other securities of large, well-known corporations, and representations that he would achieve high rates of return for clients, with limited risk”(FBI US Attorney’s Office); such promising investments seemed too good to be real but Madoff meticulously maintained the facade of a successful operation by creating false account statements and reports, convincing investors of the legitimacy and profitability of their investments. The scheme expanded to an unprecedented scale, accumulating billions of dollars–from individual investors, charitable organizations, trusts, and even hedge funds–until it collapsed in 2008 when Madoff could no longer sustain the steady paybacks, leading to massive financial losses for his investors and a significant breach of trust in the financial industry. 

In retrospect, numerous red flags of his trade and investments were apparent. Foremost, his “split strike conversion” strategy simply seemed too good to be true. Claiming to have invested in “35-50 common stocks in the S&P 100;” generating profit as he “opportunistically time those purchases and would be "out of the market" intermittently;” and most importantly, hedging “ the investments that he made in the basket of common stocks by using investor funds to buy and sell option contracts related to those stocks, thereby limiting potential losses caused by unpredictable changes in stock prices” (FBI US Attorney’s Office), those unprecedented approaches that seemed to make sense was virtually impossible in reality, but merely few suspected. Moreover, he purposely withheld information from regulators, while creating fraudulent “balance sheets, statements of income, statements of cash flows, and reports on internal control” (FBI US Attorney’s Office) to not only be sent to existing and prospective investors, but also to be filed with the SEC, the only few documents Bernie allowed for SEC inspection. In fact, throughout the years 1992 to 2008, reports of red flags, with ample information, were communicated yet no competent examination was done: suspicious points were raised from how Madoffs strategy and purported returns were not duplicable by anyone else, to the impossibility of option trade due to its lacking volumes, even to purposely being “secretive about their operations and refuse to disclose anything”(SEC Case No. OIG-509). Interestingly, when the “OIG investigation found the SEC conducted two investigations and three examinations related to Madoff's investment advisory business… at no time did the SEC ever verify Madoff's trading through an independent third-party, and in fact, never actually conducted a Ponzi scheme examination or investigation of Madoff” (SEC Case No. OIG-509). In other words, few superficial investigations were taken place after considerable amounts of complaints hinting towards a fraud devastating to the market. 

Figure 1 Displays the accumulated investment proceeds using the Fairfield Sentry returns and investment in the S&P 500 with dividends reinvested (an apparent, huge contrast observed). 

The scheme failed to be regulated despite being reported of numerous obvious suspicions… one possible explanation attibutes such oversight to the internal challenges SEC faced that hindered its investigations. 

Foremost, SEC itself had significant internal challenges that led to the oversight: “The IG Report traces the SEC's failure with Madoff to shortcomings in a number of areas, including insufficient expertise, training, experience and supervision by management; inadequate internal communication and coordination among and within various SEC divisions; deficiencies in investigative planning and prioritization; lack of follow-through on leads; and insufficient resources” (SEC Testimony Concerning the SEC's Failure to Identify the Bernard L. Madoff Ponzi Scheme and How to Improve SEC Performance). In other words, the SEC was not as matured and well-established an investment regulator as it is today, yet it was obligated to address the massive investment bubble Bernie Madoff had created; It was of no surprise it failed. First, short rations brought the agency to approach mission-imparing levels. Salaries were extremely unpromising and uncompetitive to an extent that when experienced investigators and lawyers left, raw recruits who were hired as alternatives failed to address all the issues mentioned above, leading to a downward trend of SEC’s investigation efficiency. The teams, often composed of junior personnel, were sent to investigate Bernie Madoff, and failed to obtain any useful information or pick up suspicious actions as they often lacked necessary background in complex financial instruments. This phenomenon was further compounded by the senior management’s lack of supervision, without which the SEC lacked validating proofs to suspect and further break down the fraud. 

Furthermore, the fragmentation between departments meant that piece of critical information was neglected: people responsible for money management interacted minimally with people of broker-dealer inspections, and people of foreign trading. The IG report details instances when OCIE and Division of Enforcement both conducted separate investigations into Madoff but failed to collaborate or share findings effectively. So superficial and unorganized their investigations were, “it was Madoff himself who informed one of the examination teams that the other examination team had already obtained the information they were seeking from him”(SEC Case No. OIG-509).

In an SEC report subsequent to the fraud, it underscores the importance of founding an internal training program that focuses on establishing a third-party verification of customer assets, an approach that was neglected during their Madoff investigation. “According to the OIG's expert, the most critical step in examining or investigating a potential Ponzi scheme is to verify the subject's trading through an independent third party” (SEC Case No. OIG-509). Had the SEC ever sought transaction records from DTCs instead of Madoff himself, they would’ve had “an excellent chance uncovering Madoff’s ponzi scheme as early as 1992” (SEC Case No. OIG-509). Even when they held reliable information, credible allegations, and tips of Madoff’s fraudulent activities, they failed to adequately pursue their investigations; “They either disregarded these concerns or simply consulted Madoff about them”(Report of Investigation Executive Summary). At times when Madoff's answers were seemingly implausible, the SEC examiners accepted them at face value” (Report of Investigation Executive Summary). The clear manifestations of a ponzi scheme were left unaddressed in numerous occasions, leading financial analysts, reporters, and security industry executives to have suspected that SEC was reluctant to ‘pop’ the bubble that managed major global assets of HSBC, Bank Austria, UBS, Fairfield Greenwich Group and so forth. 

A final speculation of SEC’s oversight was its laziness. Two OCIE examinations were undertaken but yielded no useful data. Throughout the first examination, examiners drafted a letter to the National Association of Security Dealers, another independent third-party that would’ve provided independent trade data. Nonetheless, the letter was never sent, being claimed that reviewing the obtained data would’ve been too time consuming. In other words, the officials failed to even exercise their due diligence. In the latter one, the OCIE Assistant Director requested trading done by or on behalf of Madoff feeder funds from Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation (DTCC)--an American financial market infrastructure company that provides clearing, settlement and trade reporting services to financial market participants–that Madoff claimed to have used to clear his trades. Being informed that there was no transaction activity during that time, they ended the investigation without suspicion and with no further efforts being made. 

If a conclusion of fraud cannot be drawn from such considerable amounts of red flags, merely think about the plausibility of running a 65 billion dollar mutual fund by one man; and chances of him providing compound average annual returns of 15% to worldwide investors by trading S&P 500 and reported “three down months during the market’s 26 down months during the same period, with a worst down month of only -1.44% versus the market's worst down month of -14.58%” (Markopolos). 

During the time of the ponzi scheme, internal deficiencies constantly challenged the SEC. Therefore, SEC’s investigations and regulatory competency became not only susceptible to internal influences, but responded extremely vulnerably toward external pressures. The financial market conditions during the years leading up to the uncovering of Madoff’s scheme was often complex and volatile. The Enron Scandal, Dot-Com bubble burst, subprime mortgage crisis, the collapse of Lehman Brothers all required SEC to focus on broader crisis management, diverting attention away from Madoff’s fraud–especially with their level of complacency due to Madoff’s reputation in the industry. In addition, The SEC’s resources were further stretched thin–due to the need to oversee a vast and increasingly volatile market. This high demand on their oversight capabilities created a sense of urgency that led to hurried and superficial investigations, rather than thorough and detailed ones. 

The Bernie Madoff Ponzi Scheme, which exploited Madoff’s reputable status and the SEC’s regulatory shortcomings, revealed how vulnerabilities in financial oversight may lead to massive financial losses as well as a growing lack of trust in the financial industry. The SEC’s internal deficiencies, lack of coordination, and insufficient expertise played primary roles in allowing Madoff’s fraud to persist despite being constantly reported for its numerous red flags. In the aftermath, the SEC implemented crucial reforms to enhance its investigative process: “encouraging greater cooperation by ‘Insiders’, conducting risk-based examinations of financial firms, and Enhancing Safeguards for Investors’ Assets”( SEC Post Madoff Reforms) such as conducting surprise exams, third party reviews… and custody reports–when “A broker-dealer would file a report on a quarterly basis with the SEC and its designated examining authority that contains information about whether and, if so how, the broker-dealer maintains custody of its customers’ securities and cash” ( SEC Post Madoff Reforms). These changes were able to restore investor confidence and prevent future large-scale frauds. 

Bibliography 

“Bernard L. Madoff Charged in 11-Count Criminal Information.” FBI, 10 Mar. 2009, archives.fbi.gov/archives/newyork/press-releases/2009/nyfo031009.htm.

“About the SEC.” SEC Emblem, 25 June 2018, www.sec.gov/strategic-plan/about

Report of Investigation Executive Summary, www.sec.gov/files/oig-509-exec-summary.pdf

“Madoff: The Court Documents.” www.nytimes.com, www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/documents/bernard-madoff-ponzi-scheme-court-documents. 

Bernard, C., and P. Boyle. “Mr . Madoff ’ S Amazing Returns : An Analysis of the Split-Strike Conversion Strategy.” www.semanticscholar.org, 2009, www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Mr-.-Madoff-%E2%80%99-s-Amazing-Returns-%3A-An-Analysis-of-Bernard-Boyle/6d83e1c53cfbee9a8f2fbe4f48ffec62901a2a70.

SEC. “The Securities and Exchange Commission Post-Madoff Reforms.” Sec.gov, 15 July 2019, www.sec.gov/spotlight/secpostmadoffreforms.htm.

Zuckerman, Gregory, and Kara Scannell. Madoff Misled SEC in ’06, Got Off. Vol. 9, 2008, boston.qwafafew.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/01/Harry.pdf. Accessed 23 May 2024.

Personal interest in finance, entrepreneurship, and business inspired to write this piece as an extended research paper of my American History course.