Last Time | Teen Ink

Last Time

By SoSweetSophie BRONZE, London, Other
SoSweetSophie BRONZE, London, Other

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

The sound of police sirens and helicopter blades filled the air, although Mary-Beth and Lucille had only met each other under 36 hours ago, they both felt as if they had been together as sisters for a life time. Both girls were always selfish and inconsiderate but in this moment, they could not help but care about how scared the other must feel. Lucille swerved into the desert but as Mary-Beth looked in her wing mirror she saw the flashing red and blue lights were still hot on their tail and losing them would not be easy.

The two continued to be chased onto a dirt road. The desert sun was beating down hard, she didn’t know whether it was just that or her fear of getting caught taking over, but something was starting to get to Mary-Beth. She looked in her wing mirror again but this time, just for a second she believed she saw her parents looking back at her. Every part of their bodies was telling them to stop, do the right thing, but as they drove farther it seemed this sudden rush of adrenaline was the one driving the car.

“Maybe we should turn ourselves in”, Mary-Beth said trying to hide the fear in her voice. “Mary, it’s too late to turn back now.” Lucille replied, “We can drive far away from here, and together we can finally have the life we were always deprived of. Besides, we’re in this together”. “Right, together”, Mary-Beth said grasping Lucille’s hand. All their lives they felt as if a part of them was missing, but being together they felt as if that void had been filled. For the first time in their lives they felt as if they were their parents’ daughters. I just wish they didn’t reach such drastic measures to have felt this way.

It all went wrong from the start, the death of their parents meant the girls were separated from each other quite young and so they had to live their lives apart. Mary-Beth and Lucille always knew they were adopted, but they never received a letter, a birthday card, anonymous or otherwise. After years of this, they both alike came to the conclusion their parents must not have wanted them. If the world didn’t care about them they would treat it likewise. The twin girls met each other by chance. Who would’ve known they would walk into a coffee shop as an only child and walk out as a twin? Was it luck, destiny or purely fate? No one would ever know.

Lucille and Mary-Beth were used to committing petty crimes but they were in no way ready for a full blown bank robbery. The day started off as normal, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and traffic was in full circulation. No one in the “National Bank of Nevada” could have predicted the evil to befall them that day.

Mary-Beth and Lucille rushed in guns blazing, both screaming, “Hit the deck”. Lucille proceeded to run behind the counter and threw the money into three bags; although this all came so easy to her the same couldn’t have been said about her sister. Mary-Beth was on edge, every noise seemed to startle her. She heard the door open behind her. She panicked, turned around and blindly fired her gun. Mary-Beth only meant for them to be warning shots, but sadly this was not the case. She rushed over to help the poor soul, but it was too late, little Susie was already dead. She strangely got up with a blank expression on her face, she found a towel and wiped the blood off her hands, she knew even if the actual blood had been wiped from her hands she would never been able to shake it. That little’s girl life would now be lost because of her doing.

Mary-Beth’s conscience was heavy; every step weighed more than the last, every sense was heightened. The police were now surrounding the bank; the girls now had the money. They selected a young boy and took him hostage. The officers allowed them to walk outside safely to their getaway car. “Don’t make any sudden moves or the boy gets it”, Lucille said with a stern expression on her face. They threw the boy onto the pavement and began driving recklessly down the highway. The police were now in pursuit of the girls. They drove until they got here, in the middle of nowhere, under the influence of adrenaline, overcome by guilt and fear, with no where to go.

The police began growing inpatient. In a last minute attempt to deter the criminals they began shooting at Mary-Beth and Lucille’s vehicle. The gunfire echoed from one end of the desert to the other. As sudden bursts of gunfire hit the car, slowly but surely panic started to win in the war of emotions. They now knew they were going to die here, although they were sure of this they never showed emotion, they both tried to assure each other they would both be alright. The first bullet shattered the back window, the second the passenger’s wing mirror, and the third the passenger’s window.

The police cars were in spitting distance from the twins, the helicopters began closing in on Mary-Beth and Lucille like hawks hunting their prey. They were sitting ducks. Something in Lucille snapped and she began driving faster and faster, so fast it was as if they were flying down the dusty plain. It all seemed fine until Mary-Beth looked down and realized she had been shot in the arm; she saw the blood trickle down, but for some reason felt nothing.

Lucille continued to drive, but soon she became conscious of the pool of blood on the passenger’s seat and saw her sister was shot. She let out a blood-curdling scream, the shock of the injury caused Lucille to swerve out of control. In all of this panic how could they have seen the “bridge in construction” sign or the cliff coming up ahead? They crashed into the sign. Mary-Beth was bleeding to death but as they drove into the chasm she embraced her sister and her sister embraced her.

Both girls died as they were born… together. They both had felt many emotions but for the first and last time of their lives, they loved.