A Dictatorship | Teen Ink

A Dictatorship

By Oberry BRONZE, Lafayettes, Colorado
Oberry BRONZE, Lafayettes, Colorado

“Citizens of Sacred City, I am your new leader. Though I will promise to commit to caring for this wonderful city, I will not do so without making a few changes in our government and our views on what is just, and more importantly, unjust. Be aware, though there will be some new rules, if you do your part in obeying them, you will not face the consequences. If you do choose to rebel, you will get what is coming to you, resistance is pointless, as these rules are for the greater good, I believe that these new changes will lead to a far greater city and we will all become far greater people. Thank you.”

Since the Great Destruction, only those strong enough could rebuild society in a way which would prevent those same disasters from repeating themselves due to the cruel destruction of mankind. The Great Destruction, the disastrous end to the horrid existence of the Unsaved Society, the beginning of the New Society, starting again at year 1. Given the superfluous nature of all literature created in the Unsaved Society, all books have been destroyed, and new writers have been chosen to create literature that is more accurate and useful to mankind.

In this New Society, all humans are given tests immediately after birth, as to determine their future career. The test is based on cranial wave frequencies and certain genetic presences showing clear strengths and probable interests as to give that person the best future they can have. After 73 years, these tests seem to have been working quite well, though the bitter habits of mankind cannot be genetically removed, and there is a clear presence of corruption of those in positions of power. Leaders of each city often succumb to corruption, as they have been conditioned by the previous leaders to pursue a tyrannical role in society throughout their entire lives.

Anderson Kennedy and Mona Roalson were born at the same time, to neighboring houses, given the test at the same time, though coming out with completely different results; Mona, to become a writer, Anderson to become a leader. Born as two made to be different, growing up together as if they were made to be the same. Anderson was to come into power after his 21st birthday, and at age 20, he has yet to succumb to corruption, at least that is what he believes.

“Hey!” Mona shouts at Anderson. “Where are you going?”

“I have to meet with the supervisors, as you recall, I am to become leader tomorrow.” Mona runs up behind Anderson and leaps onto his back. “What are you doing?” Anderson asks as he continues to carry her down the street.

“Getting an interview with probably the most important man in town.”

“Well,” Anderson smiles, “what questions would you like to ask?”

“Mr. Kennedy,” Mona asks in a funny voice, “what is it like to be the future leader of this great city?”

“Well Mr. Reporter, let me answer your question with another question,” Anderson, throws Mona onto the grass,

“how does it feel to be in the grass?” Mona laughs.

A few hours later, Anderson returns home slightly confused, for his supervisors had given him slightly unsettling advice. As he turns the corner to walk back into his neighborhood, he sees Mona writing on her front porch; he understand his feelings for her, though his supervisors tell him that in a perfect society, one should have their soulmate chosen for them. He would hope that he’d have the power to choose her to be his wife, but the future of humanity rests on his shoulders and he must make decisions like that to improve society, as he was told by the head supervisor. Mona looks up to see him, and immediately is filled with joy.

“Why hello there,” Mona smiles, though noticing Anderson’s glum expression, her smile fades, “Hey, are you okay?”

“I don’t understand this feeling I have towards my supervisors, “ Anderson says as he sits down next to her, “it’s just I, I feel like I don’t trust them. The rules they tell me will improve society, they seem right, but they also seem wrong somehow.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” Mona asks as she rest her arm around him.

“I’m not supposed to share their teachings until I become leader,” he pauses for a moment, “but I feel like I have to get this off my chest.” Anderson then proceeds to tell Mona these secrets, the plans his supervisors have to control a person’s soulmate, to increase punishments for crimes, to track each person by injecting them with tracking devices. As he tells her each plan he’s been told were positive for as long as he can remember, he sees the look on her face and begins to realize the horrible things he’d been planning his whole life.

“Anderson,” Mona says, her voice comforting Anderson, just as it always had, “you realize that you will soon have the power to create a better society, not the society that your supervisors are trying to force you into creating.”

“What should I do?” Anderson asks, as his head fills with worry that it is too late and that he cannot rid his mind of the reality he’s been conditioned to believe.

“Confront the supervisors,” Mona stands up and grabs his hand, “ after all, there is nothing they can do, you become leader tomorrow. Come on, we can go right now if you like.” Anderson stands up and they begin to walk.
“Can you go in with me?” Anderson asks, gripping her hand tightly.

“Of course.” Mona smiles, and they enter.

“Ah, Mr. Kennedy,” Mr. Elbertson, the head supervisor, says quite calmly as Anderson and Mona enter the room,

“you are here to confront us.”

“How did you know that?” Anderson asks, shocked.

“Of course, we have placed a listening device in your watch,” Mr. Ellis, assistant supervisor says slyly. “We needed to be sure you adhered to the law, a plan you and I discussed for the citizens in this great city.”

“Don’t listen to him!” Mona turns quickly to Anderson. “He is trying to manipulate you!”

“You cannot control me anymore!” Anderson yells to Mr. Elbertson. “I will rule this city how I so choose.”

“I’m sorry,” Mr. Elbertson says sternly, “we can’t let that happen.”

Anderson wakes up in the room just inside the balcony where he is supposed to give his speech to the city, though his wristed is tied to keep him from escaping. There is a letter on the table, addressed to him from Mona.

“Dear Anderson,
I hope you can understand why I have been moved to another city, I wish I could stay and watch you become a great leader the way you and I planned, but your supervisors would never allow that. I know now, and I will always know what a good person you are, and what a great person you could become if not for the horrible corruption of those before you, I grew up knowing you could accomplish great things, but I also know that we cannot destroy the future that you must have. Your supervisors, while they exist as terrible corrupt beings unable to feel the slightest bit of compassion, they are smart enough to push you to become the worst possible version of yourself. I want you to know that it is okay, if you become this leader that they hope for you to be, if you do everything you told me they wanted you to do, just understand that it is not your fault, no matter what you do, I will always see you as the great person that you are, that you always have been, and that you always will be.
Love you always, Mona.”

“Are you ready?” Mr Elbertson asks calmly as he unties Anderson’s wrist and hands him a piece of paper. “We have written you a speech, we apologize for not giving you time to write your own.” Anderson, still looking at Mona’s letter, nods. “Great.” Anderson stands up, setting the letter down on the table to accept the speech, and as he walks out onto the balcony, a single tear fall down his cheek.

“Citizens of Sacred City, I am your new leader. Though I will promise to commit to caring for this wonderful city, I will not do so without making a few changes--”