My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By gks77 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
gks77 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My name is like baking a cookie. It’s flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and salt. Five basic ingredients mixed together to make something good. It’s that easy. It’s just 5 simple letters put together to make my name. Its nothing fancy, but it’s good.

My name means simple elegance and pure movements. It’s like the color gray. A very basic color. It’s like the color of the sky right before it starts to rain. When it’s quiet outside waiting for the rain to fall. It’s a color that’s practical, neutral, timeless, and simple. But that’s what I am, simple.

When people hear the word simple, boring seems to follow. But I don’t think this is the case. Everyone enjoys simple things, they just don’t seem to realize it. Simple is baking cookies. Simple is reading a good book. Simple is going for a walk on a nice day.

There’s no family story behind my name. I am the only one. The first one. I think that’s nice in a way. It makes things easier, simpler. There’s no one to live up to. No one I have to become or honor with a name. No life recipe I have to follow. I am just me. Whoever I want to be.

My friends all call me G. It’s a nickname. Something short and uncluttered, but also easy going and fun in a way. It’s practical. Yet it has a more energetic ring to it. Grace seems to sound bland. G seems like it would be said with a smile. I don’t know when it started. When my name when from Grace to G. But I don’t mind it. I think it fits. My friends know that I am a practical person, but they know I’m fun too. Just like an open book, easy to read. Easy to understand. Easy to enjoy. The shortening of my name reflects that.

While many see the name as gracefulness and elegance, I see it as something different. I see it as practical. I see it as sensible. I see it as simple. Everyone likes simple things, that’s what makes them great. Simple, that’s who I am, and I like it that way.