What's in a Name | Teen Ink

What's in a Name

By AHSLax7 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
AHSLax7 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My full name is Benjamin James Harvat. Obviously my last name is in no way unique. My middle name is borrowed as well, from my dad. But Benjamin is all my own. In my entire family the name is mine and mine only. 

It seems as if everyday Ben is a different person. Some days he is loud, outgoing, and sometimes a little obnoxious, but always full of energy. Other times he is quiet and reserved, almost like he is hiding from the energetic version of myself. But the name is always something familiar. It is like a favorite chair. It may not be the nicest or in the best condition but is will always be comfortable. 

Benjamin is a completely different person. Though his appearances are far from often, they always mark important events. The ACT, AP exams, all the most important occurrences for my future see the return of my more formal self. Unlike Ben, Benjamin is more like a dining room chair that is rarely used. Very sturdy and robust, but very uncomfortable.

Without Benjamin, Ben would not be able to accomplish anything. Acing the AP Psychology exam. Writing a flawless resume. Making the varsity team. Without Ben, Benjamin would never enjoy himself or take any risks. (list examples here again). Take AP exams as an example. Walking in, Ben did not want to be there and knew it would be very boring. However, as soon as the name Benjamin was written on the sheet, the importance of that moment began to set in. The two must survive together in perfect harmony. 

Though my name is not perfect, it is mine. Though many others in the world have the same name, mine feels different, unique to me as if it is a different form of the name.