Polariod | Teen Ink

Polariod

Click, a burst of light… zzzz snap. It was a hot summers day and a cool breeze swept the air. The aroma of smoke still smoldered in the background. The absence of noise silently sliced the soothing sanctity of what was previously satisfactory. The morning after what seems to be a blur. Looking back at the photos sparks of things fly back out of my subconscious. I was riding a lawn mower around a tree. No wait I was riding a lawn mower and hit a tree. My friends were using a chainsaw to cut a chair. Wait I got it. They were using the chair as a stand to cut the wood and ended up going through the chair. All of which took place within 20 feet of fire and all happening simultaneously. I know there was a fire because it was staring me down like deer in the headlights. Or maybe I was staring at a deer. It's all so hard to remember. But Im sure it will come with time.

A photo that is only visible through film tells more than the image itself that it takes. It's pure, unaltered, or focused. It's the luck of the draw. It is a small piece of the bigger picture. It shows what the person was thinking about and creates a timeline within a memory of past events that would otherwise fade. 

Nothing extraordinary about any moment in time. But it was captured nonetheless for a reason that I can’t remember. The beauty of life is that all things must come to an end. But I captured that moment to hold onto it a  little while longer. Memento Mori. Directly translating to all things must die but more often than not viewed as the adjacent of “you only live once”. The bittersweet knowledge of knowing the impermanence of everything around you material or otherwise. And that is one of the many things that gives life value.