the boxer | Teen Ink

the boxer

By alec lmo BRONZE, Woodlandpark, Colorado
alec lmo BRONZE, Woodlandpark, Colorado

g-1
Tragedy Turned Triumph
The sweat rolls off the boxer's face. He looks up, takes a deep breath, and looks at all the fans cheering for him. He stands up and feels the rubber texture of the ropes on his back. The bell rings. The opponent stands up first. They both lock eyes. The boxer moves to center to touch gloves as a sporting gesture but then it turns serious. The boxer jumps back simultaneously throwing a jab at the opponent. It misses and he takes two hooks to the stomach. The boxer hears one of his coaches in the background.
" Don't say good luck, say don't give up!" the coach yells.
The boxer takes his target in his sights again. This is it, this punch will end the match. Right jab, left hook, only one lands a strike, the boxer takes a punch to the face. Blood splashes everywhere. He goes to his knees and he tries to smell but a sharp, shooting pain goes up his nose. He figures it's broken. The bell rings before the opponent can finish him off. The boxer is pulled to his feet and sits down on the small wooden seat in the corner of the ring by one of his trainers.
The trainer looks him square in the eyes and tells him, "There is something in your heart and in your eyes, it's the fire. So fuel that flame and reach for the sky, if you're done, then tap out, but give it your all; otherwise you will always regret this day."
The tired boxer looks at his trainer and gasping for breath, blood running done his face, he whispers something to the trainer, " I've made it to the threshold".
The bell rings again. The beaten down boxer stands up, ready for the abuse that's about to fall upon his face. He tries his best to dodge the punches of the enemy boxer but it's not working. He is still getting hurt. Whap! the boxer goes down. It's black, no noise, no taste, nothing! He lays there motionless. The opponent is forcibly pulled off him before serious damage occurs. The boxer comes to right before the ref counts to ten. He slowly stands up. The boxer has wobbly legs, it's like standing on jelly for him. The crowd is silent and the bell rings one last time. He is placed on the stool again. The trainer takes a knee in front of him and tells him that he is proud of him for hanging in there but it's time to stop now. The trainer says, "The other boxer floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee but there is no chance that you can win."
With his last good breath, the boxer tells him that he will win! He says, " It's David and Goliath, I made it to the eye of the storm", then the bell rings.
The boxer is invigorated to win now. He jukes out of the way of the first punch and throws a punch back. It lands right in the enemy's face. The adrenalin starts to flow and he stands firm and tall, like a statue ready for whatever. The opponent throws at him. The fans sound like a riot on hush. The only thing he hears is his heart. The boxer takes a step back and throws one final punch at the enemy. He puts all he has into it and it hits the opponent dead on. Lights out, the match is won. The boxer falls to his knees, tears pouring out like a water fall. The crowd goes wild! It was the fire inside of him. He is the definition of tragedy turned triumph.

song turned to lyrics