Old White House | Teen Ink

Old White House

By JoanneBrooks BRONZE, Columbus, Montana
JoanneBrooks BRONZE, Columbus, Montana

Eric sat silently on the steps of the wooden porch in front of his house. The little white house stood lonely in the morning heat. Paint was fading over the aged wooden boards of the porch. His mom rocked back and forth in the old creaky chair next to the door. White paint was chipping in the middle and around the worn out corners of the door. Previous coffee brown paint from before was now visible along the cracks. The chair sounded like the screeching of an old black crow. It was a perfectly warm day to go walking and spend time at the cool river just down the dusty old road.. The summer sun was shining brightly off the soft fur of his dog, laying at the foot of the steps. Even though it looked like a great day, everyday was just as sad as the one before for Eric. Two weeks have past and he still didn't feel like doing anything fun anymore. He could tell that his mom felt the same way. But as strong as she was, she hid all her pain and accepted the fact that they would have to improvise things from now on.
Eric finally looked up. As he stared off into the pastures of their farm, he quietly said, "I guess we'll just have to see how things go from here". His eyes began to water.
"Everything will be different. Now that it's just you and me", she responded. It was silent for a moment, as they both tried to gather their thoughts.
"Yeah. I know", he said.
"We have each other though", she said.
"But it's not the same", said Eric, trying to hold his tears in.
"Believe me, I know. I miss him", she said.
"I miss dad too mom." Eric said, keeping from crying. Memories flashed back through his head as he closed his eyes. He could remember every moment they spent together. It was a clear image painted into his head. He could never forget the sound of that train. The sound of the train rolling across the tracks played over and over again in Eric's head.

All though he tried to hold the tears in, they rolled from his eyes like fragile pieces of glass. They hit the dusty, impure steps of the withered porch. She tried harder and harder to come up with something to say in response to this heartbreaking moment, but as hard as his mom tried she couldn't figure out the right words to say to her son. The arduous decision whether or not to say something floated around in her head.
A slight breeze jostled through the air. Goose bumps begin to form on Eric's petty legs. He wanted so bad to say something but there wasn't much left to say. The words in his head scrambled to find the right thing to utter. But no matter what words come out of his mouth, they will never change anything.
His mom got up off the chair and sat next to Eric on the creaky steps. A cool breeze pushed through her long, wavy, brown hair She wrapped her small scrawny arm around him and pulled his small body onto her lap. Holding Eric with her arms embraced around him, she gently placed her head on his. Looking down at him with her bright green eyes, she could see the tears slowly falling down his soft, tan cheek. She wiped them away with her smooth hand. Suddenly, she shut her eyes tight and she could feel the tears forming behind her eye lids. Slowly, she opened her eyes and tears began to fall.. She wiped them away with the sleeve of her shirt. Even though she couldn't find the courage to respond with the right words, she finally said, "I miss him just as much as you".