What I learned…. | Teen Ink

What I learned….

By Rabia Abbasi SILVER, Mirpur Mathelo, Other
Rabia Abbasi SILVER, Mirpur Mathelo, Other

I had always abhorred travelling especially because of my travel sickness and the tumultuous atmosphere in a crowded bus. I hung my head in disappointment when my parents ordered me to get ready for an eight-hour trip to Karachi by bus. After three hours, I found myself dragging behind my parents as they made their way through a labyrinth of people near a local bus station. Even from distance I could smell the putridity and humidity that hung in the air.

After waiting for what seemed like the longest hour of my life, I saw the bus zooming in front us. The bus was so much crowded that the passengers hung their heads out of the large windows. Soon it halted to a stop in front us and all the passengers dashed inside to occupy their seats. I thought that my feet was chained to iron rods and as they refused to go inside. Finally, I stepped inside and to my consternation I found no empty seat. I decided to rely on my legs and so stood clenching the metal rod of the bus.
The bus smelt stinky and rancidity that hung in the air made my stomach lurch; I was already feeling sick and wretched. Although, my mother constantly nudged my from behind-a silent message from her which meant to sit beside an elderly lady-but I preferred to stand instead so I avoided her. The fat, plump woman had occupied her own seat and more than half of mine. Her chubby cheeks seemed to dance up and down as the bus bounced on uneven, bumpy road. Mass of grisly black hair framed her face while her lips passed in a tight line under her wobbly nose.
When I finally decided to occupy my seat, she stared at me at me with such venomous eyes that shiver ran down my spine and I turned around to eschew her malign looks.
There was so much noise and hustle bus in the bus that I wondered whether I was in a fish market or not. Everyone was busy chatting and talking as if it was their last day. Some even went further and started to shout and shriek at the top of their voice. Smell of chicken sandwiches, parathas and crisps wafted around as people munched these delicacies. Watching them eating these mouth-watering dishes, I felt my stomach twisting and turning in hunger and agony.
After a long time of standing, I was worn out with fatigue and collapsed in exhaustion on my ‘half’ seat. My eyes were bleary yet I could not rest in the noisy atmosphere. What further added to the severity of the situation was the untimely wailing of the toddler and his unending high pitched cries. His voice was hammering my ears. The cuddly baby with rosy cheeks was shouting at his strongest and was clearly in a bad tantrum. I was sop exhausted and livid with rage over him that I wanted to throw him out of the open window if only her mother was no there.
I decided to ignore the baby and shifted my gaze on a young lady who looked in high spirits and was whistling merrily. It seemed as if she was enjoying every moment of her journey. She looked not in the least disturbed by the noise around her. On the contrary she was grinning from ear to ear. As I was gaping at her from a long time, she finally looked and caught my gaze. As she saw me perturbed and restless, she handed me a painkiller. I thanked her and after taking that medicine I felt relieved and much comfortable. Thus, I spent the rest of my journey enjoying every bit of it; a lesson learnt from that lady. I realized at times strangers teach seemingly strange lessons!

Years later, i realized that at times strangers teach us seemingly strange lessons!

waqasali said...
A really great piece of writing! Good luck for the future.

Hina said...
on Dec. 27 2013 at 7:42 am
Superb, funny and above all moral! Loved it...keep writing