The Chest In My Attic | Teen Ink

The Chest In My Attic

October 31, 2014
By thegameblogger13 BRONZE, Mesquite, Texas
thegameblogger13 BRONZE, Mesquite, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"How do you make time fly? You throw the clock out the window."


 Two weeks ago, I moved to this house. It's a really old house. When I went to discover the attic, there was a chest. I tried to open it but it was locked. My neighbors say that the chest wasn't opened in fifty years and nobody knew what was in it. The only way to open it was with the original key to the chest. And I found it. My mom says not to open the chest, she thinks that it might be something dumb left over. Like a toy chest or a forgotten time capsule. But I believe is something else.

 It's five in the morning and my mom was asleep in her room. But I wasn't. I carefully got out of bed and put on my slippers, got my robe, a flashlight, and the key to the chest. I opened the door slowly as possible as it creeked. I'm trying to be quiet as possible, but I think the heavy thunderstorm outside was ruining it. Then I found myself at the stairs to the attic. I walked up the stairs very slowly trying not to make a noise. But it was impossible with the creeking the stairs were doing.

 The attic door is right there, in front of me. I'm not sure I should do this. What if I don't do it? Then no one will no what's inside the chest. But what if I did do it? I can make history! I opened the door and walked quickly to the chest. I put the key inside, and opened the chest. I couldn't believe it...


The author's comments:

In my English class, our assignment was to write a story about a chest in the attic that couldn't be opened. At first, I didn't think I can write a story on that. But it turned out to be good.