A Halloween Story | Teen Ink

A Halloween Story

By mtgates6 BRONZE, San Diego, California
mtgates6 BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

It was a cold dark night, the wind whistled among the trees. "This is so stupid let's go home," I said.
"Are you scared?" Billy taunted.
     “No I just think my mom will want me home soon," I stuttered. I wasn't even buying it. Our parents didn't care it was a Friday night on Halloween. "Well we are all staying so if you want to leave whatever," Billy taunted. "Fine I'll stay," I said reluctantly. We had all gathered in the small clearing in the forest behind our houses, it wasn't too dense but had a lot of big trees which covered the floor and the soft dirt under it. We had all gone trick-or-treating and it was now about ten o'clock after we compared our candy. Everyone agreed to tell scary stories but me. I don't like scary things and this place was giving me the creeps. It really looks like a scene from a scary story. The bare trees cast ominous shadows from the bright full moon. I could hear the breaking of branches and loud footsteps but no one was there. This was one of our normal spots to hang out but during this time of year I wasn't sure if I could handle it.
     "I'll start first," Billy announced. Then he began. As Billy started to talk I looked up. "The sky was a darker color and the clouds didn't look that way before." I thought to myself not thinking too much about it. Billy’s story was about a little girl who was a ghost. She had died in these very woods and every year she would haunt those who trespassed her grave. Just as he was finishing I thought I could hear the rustling of leaves and the swoosh of the wind. Then I heard some noise that sounded like, “I'll be back.” I just assumed that it was my imagination.  The other boys insisted on me going next even as I rejected and tried to say I needed to leave they wouldn't stop. I did remember an old story that my grandma had always told me when I was a kid and I was always scared of it.
     It started out like this; it was a dark spooky night. It was said that the witch would come out and look for the descendants of the family who killed her. This year that family was scared so they left. The whole town started to panic and turn into a crazy mob. The witch would rise in a few days and there was nothing to stop her except a potion, but that was only a legend, or so they thought.  The legend said with a magic mixture you could destroy the witch but no one knew how to make it. There was a small girl about 10 who was at the library. She came upon a book it said “The Witches Curse.” So she decided to read it. Inside it wrote. ”The way to stop the witch is to combine water with sage and lavender. Also add toothpaste and cinnamon. Mix it three times and give it to the witch when she's in a town hall at midnight.” So the little girl rushed home and tried to create the mixture, she didn't have too much time to waste. It was the night before the witch would rise. After completing this she put the liquid in a vial. The next day at school she waited tediously, she hadn't told anyone but wasn’t sure how she would be able to sneak out around midnight.
     After coming home the girl told her parents, “I don't feel good I'm going up to my room.” She had a good amount of time before she would need to head over to the town hall which is about 15 minutes away when walking. This would be her only option because she couldn't drive and grabbing her bike would make too much noise. She also didn't bring a backpack because she thought it would get in her way. She wore jeans and a warm jacket, the vial in her pocket. She pretended to be asleep but also used this time to prepare both physically and mentally for the events about to come. Right at 11:30 she silently opened her window. She then carefully climbed out the window making sure that the vile didn’t fall. After climbing down out of her window she ran lightly making sure none of the neighborhood dogs barked at her. Once she could see the town hall she checked her watch. It read 11:40 she hurried down Main Street and arrived within a couple of minutes. The place where the witch would rise was in the court room, in the judge’s chair, the highest spot in the room. As her watch hit 11:59 she got ready for the inevitable. Then the chair shone brightly, she needed to block the light. When she took her hands down she saw an image of ugly old witch laughing. “Now is the time,” she thought. Before the witch could see her she flung the vial out towards the witch dousing her in the magic potion. The witch disappeared as this happened, an explosion came from where she had been just before.
     A man was half sleeping when he heard an explosion. He grabbed his shotgun and went to investigate. Tons of people were pushing each other into the town hall. The man made his wal lying dead next to a hole in the wall where the judge used to sit.  Several years later a witch free town was thriving. On the fifth anniversary of the incident, an ear-piercing laugh was heard. Then the voice of a little girl was saying,” I’m back.”

“Wow that sucked.” Billy replied clearly not impressed.
     “Well it was still better than yours,” I retorted nervously.
     “Hey guys cut it out,” Jack scolded us.  Billy looked discouraged; Jack was the biggest and oldest so everyone listened to him.
     “Fine whatever, who’s next?” Billy asked rudely.
     A boy a little bigger than me named Wes said, “We should all head home. You know what they say, the werewolves come out at this time.”
     “Ha ha very funny,” Jack laughed jokingly,” but we should probably go home soon our parents are probably gonna call the cops within the hour.”
     “I'm sure we could stay for one more right,” Billy says obviously up to something.
     “Whatever just make it qu-“ but before Jack was finished a loud howl came from the surrounding woods.
     “What was that?” I whimpered.
     “I don't know,” Wes quavered, “but we should get out of here fast.” We all got up and ran towards the nearest path. Just as we were exiting the clearing, loud footsteps and dark shadows were closing in from all directions. There was nowhere to run and nothing to defend ourselves with but our fists and candy wrappers. We huddled together, our backs to the center. The werewolves closed in.
     “This is one of those times where we could be heroically saved,” I thought. We were out of luck, either help came too late or there was no help at all. Just as the werewolves were about to attack us, I heard one laugh. “Did I hear one of you laugh?” I asked nervously.
The werewolf in front of me put his hand of then took off what appeared to be a mask. As the mask came off a boy probably a few years older than me was laughing hysterically. All off the other “werewolves” took their masks off. The one in front of me spoke, “Oh man you guys were scared out of your pants.”
“Bro that’s not cool,” Billy sarcastically replied, then snickered.
“Billy that’s, your brother?” Wes asked
“Yeah, why?” Billy answered rudely.
“I just thought he would be ugly like you.” Wes retorted.
Billy started to go at Wes but his brother stopped him,” You’re the one who pulled the prank and its true.” Discouraged Billy started walking home. We all laughed and complemented Billy’s brother, Josh, and his friends for the scare they gave us.

djenna BRONZE said...
djenna BRONZE, Prospect Heights, Illinois

"You can't fight fate."

I agree with that! It's an awesome piece! :)

Electroflare13 BRONZE, San Diego, California
Seems classical if you go camping on Halloween. :)