Prejudice | Teen Ink

Prejudice

By Khushii PLATINUM, Parsippany, New Jersey
Khushii PLATINUM, Parsippany, New Jersey

Just a girl trying to get her ideas out there.

"Ann," mama called softly, “Papa and I need to talk to you.”
Ann obediently followed mama into her small bedroom and sat on mama’s bed. Mama and papa sat across from her. Their expressions were very solemn and serious so Ann could sense that what they were about to say was very important. Mama gave a heavy sigh.
”The Nazis have invaded Denmark and you and Christi must go to Geanna’s house to safety. The Ledges will protect you and make sure you are safe,” she explained.
The Holocaust was here! Ann knew this day would come. The Nazis intended to wipe out all the Jews-including her family. Now fear crept into every nook and cranny of Ann's body and worry filled her heart.
"Will you be coming with us?" she asked anxiously."
"No," papa answered,"But do not worry, you will see us again and then we will go someplace that is free from Germans."
Ann realized she would have to leave her home in Copenhagen and everything dear to her would be lost. She would miss her best friend, Geanna, the most though.
"Do we have to go?" Ann asked pleadingly.
"Yes, you have to go. It's for your own good," papa replied.
"OK," Ann mumbled.
"Thank you," mama said relieved,"Do you promise to behave yourself and be respectful while you are staying at the Ledge's house?"
"Of course! Geanna is my best friend," Ann exclaimed," But what do I tell Christi?" Ann glanced at her younger sister who was playing with paper dolls in the other room.
"Simply tell her you both are having a sleepover at Geanna's," papa answered.
In a few hours, Ann and Christi had packed for the "sleepover." Christi merrily skipped to Geanna's house and Ann walked fast to keep up. When they arrived, Mrs. and Mr. Ledge welcomed them and gave them each a meal of spaghetti. After the spaghetti, Christi continued playing with her dolls, and Ann talked with Geanna in Geanna’s room.
“Thanks again for helping us escape and putting your life on the line for us,” Ann told Geanna.
“No problem, anything for my best friend,” Geanna grinned. Later, they went down to play with Christi. The rest of the day went by quickly. Soon it was dinnertime and they all had a wonderful meal of green bean soup and mashed potatoes with gravy. Then it was bedtime. Ann and Geanna slept on the floor while Christi slept on Geanna’s bed. Then Ann heard them: “BANG! BANG! Loud banging on the front door followed by heavy footsteps and gruff voices.”Those are the German soldiers! I’m going to die!” Ann thought. But, to her luck, Mrs. Ledge was up in an instant and led the girls through the back door. Mrs. Ledge carried Christi, who had amazingly slept through it all. "Get in the car," Mrs. Ledge whispered to Ann and Geanna. Ann was not sure if she could trust Mrs. Ledge or not. As if Mrs. Ledge had read her thoughts, she added in,"Trust me." Ann hesitantly crawled into the car and it started with a frightening "rrrrmm!" Then another thought occurred to her- where were they going anyways? She would just have to wait and find out. Throughout the whole car ride no one talked, which made it seem longer. How long had they been driving?- an hour, two hours? Well, it seemed forever. After listening to the hums and drones of the engine, Ann finally dozed off.
When Ann awoke, there was a faint gleam of light in the sky. She figured it was very early in the morning-three or four O'clock AM. Geanna was fast asleep on her shoulder and Christi lay on her lap, snoring. Mrs. Ledge had probably been awake all night because they were still on the road.
When Mrs. Ledge saw that Ann was awake, she smiled and said,"Good morning! Better wake up the other two sleepyheads. We have a long day ahead of us and we will be at Miss. Miller's in a few minutes!"
"So that's be where we are going!," Ann thought," Miss. Miller provides hiding places for Jews, so that must be where my mama and papa are hiding."
Ann tapped Geanna on the thigh and she woke up with a jolt. Next, Ann shook Christi a few good times before she finally awoke with a confused expression on her face. Ann explained to her they were visiting Miss. Miller. Christi gave a quick nod and sat up in her seat. Soon enough, they were at Miss. Miller's. It was a small house made of of wood and reminded Ann of the seven dwarf's cottage in the movie "Snow White." When they entered, a sudden warmth was exposed to them. Miss. Miller had a large grin on her face as she led them into the kitchen. If she was caught, she would die. When they entered the tiny kitchen, the first thing Ann saw was her mama and papa. Christi had already hugged them. Ann then noticed Mr. Ledge was sitting on the opposite side of the table which was covered with glasses of milk and hot baked cookies.
"How did he get here?" Ann wondered.
"Ann," mama softly called, have a glass of milk and a cookie."
Papa patted a seat for Ann to sit on. After the cookies and milk, Mr. Ledge wiped his mouth with a handkerchief and announced it was time to leave to the boat dock he owned.
  Once in the car, Ann noticed it was much brighter outside and German soldiers would soon be on every street with their ferocious dogs. As soon as they reached the dock, Mr. Ledge gave mama, papa, Ann, and Christi a fish each. Mama looked at hear's with disgust.
"Rub it on yourself so the German dogs don't smell you," Mr. Ledge explained.
Christi obeyed, her playful, childish expression was now serious as she rubbed the fish on herself. It stank horribly. After that, Ann and mama stumbled into the red boat, followed by papa and Christi. There was a sudden lurch and Ann knew she was off to safety.

Not my best work, but felt like it in 6th grade.