The Mystical Chapter Five: The Girl with the Lion Eyes | Teen Ink

The Mystical Chapter Five: The Girl with the Lion Eyes

6pm rolled around way too fast. Shinguards were strapped, cleats tied, and socks rolled up to the bottom knee caps. The grass was crisp with teardrops and the soccer nets slick with the roar of a river.

Today there's a scrimage: a practice game with the opposing team. And i was the brand new captain. Not only did the other team see me as an easy target, but a fight any teen boy could win. And all it took was bravery to fight back.

The boys poured onto the washed soccer filed, stretching and flexing their sore muscles from a day of sitting in burgendy- plastic chairs. "You ready?" Cole confronted me. "Yeah, I think so," taking a breath. "Good. There's fight in you. I can see it in your eyes. There's the bravery of a lion in them. And that's what we need to win today. All the boys are nervous about Blake being out, but you have to show them you're not just a captain, but their captain." Nodding, he sees my comitment and husles back to the boys, "Alright, let's warm up!" as he forms a line of soldiers. I could he hear their murmurs as they grazed the low-cut foliage.

Oaksten's Rebels darted towards the field, Mavric leading up front. The Spartans stopped their drill and Mavric finally asked, "Where's the team captain?" trying to sound surprised. "You know exactly where he is. After all, you did put him there." And Mavric darted, but too fast for his own feet, pinning Cole accidentaly. It was time to show the team i cared, and that i wouldn't be the dog to cower. "Get off him!" pulling at his shirt. "Oh, letting your girlgriend do all the work, huh Cole? She's awefully pretty. Maybe she should go for someone who actually wins." "You don't those decisions for me," jumping on him to roll off Cole, but he pinned me instead. "I'm in charge here. You're just another player!" And then i saw it, his eyes. So i showed him mine. A low growling came from him, but mine was much louder. My eyes tell a much different story. "You're a hybrid. Those are rare nowadays. I guess you could be a worthy opponent."

We never transformed, but the game was still on. And so the girl with the lion eyes, looked in the depths of a wolf heart for an answer.

Wolf Heart comes up next!