Hoshiko | Teen Ink

Hoshiko

By hayfl0wer BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis MO, Missouri
hayfl0wer BRONZE, Lake Saint Louis MO, Missouri

In the bright early morning on the banks of Japan’s most deep blue sea, the sun rises in the very far east. The light pours itself over the meadows of green and and floods into the crease of Kauki’s polka dotted hamac that’s ripping at the seams. The cherry blossom trees look fuzzy and pink and caress the satisfaction of everyone that sees. Far and wide across the land, one half of the humans of Japan wake up to the sun rise and kiss the other half of the humans “goodmorning.” There is a vibrancy to the circumstances, a shining brilliance. A wonderful monologue spoken in the language of love, life, and nature, without speaking a word at all. The renegades of morning coffee and green tea and black suits, they never second guess the sun’s arrival. For it will never fail to rise again for them at dusk. Human life and cherry blossoms and polka dotted hamacs are infinite to these undeliberate creatures of the earth. Poor souls, they do not know. They do not know that the sun doesn't rise for them. The bright yellow star says hello to the world for his own. As each asset of human life is an asset of life itself. The ones with apathetic tendencies and beating hearts kiss their darlings before falling asleep, while the flaming sun kisses the cold moon before parting ways to the other side of the night. The heavens speak for itself, when the Gods wonder why the legged ones have been so exhaustively exaggerated. When the constellations cast a light on the lonely, and the crescent shaped depression shines through romance’ windows, nature as we know it, is one.

Kauki is shined on the most by these abundance of stars. By his constellations. Although, he is not lonely. He possesses a lover that pairs as a friend; both of which are parallel to his one and only reason for living. Kauki needs not to depart the comfort of his own home, when he finds equal and perfect comfort on the top of his roof after supper to stare at the sky. This routine of his is frequently repeated, as it is apparent that he deeply connects his dark sorrows with the dark sky. And every night when his belly is full, and his eyes are tired, he climbs up the white ladder embraced in violet vines and with his anxious trembling hands he greets his one and only lover.
“Tonight I will herd my sympathies for the morning sky. I dread the casted light on my pillow when I wake, and I miss you more and more each time.” He says with a sigh of desperation and relief.
“I shall fulfill my duties of supplying the night, my darling.” she says, “ I will listen to your sorrows with open ears as I have so many of mine.” She smiles, with a softness in her voice, and with each word his sweetheart speaks so kindly, it echoes in his skull, and taunts his tattered thoughts.
The two exchange soft glances and contoured conversations until the so dreaded light, and she abandons with an honor to him of her return. He continues on his way back to his empty bed, as the sky illuminates once again. On his way, he recognizes that the cherry blossoms resemble tiny fluffs of cotton candy, and that the green meadows strike him to be strange. Kauki has trouble in lacking appreciation for most things. As a small child does, he finds the simplicity in the complex structures of his consistent existence.
Kauki’s Father served as a wise man himself. He had elected Kauki with a power to be infinitely incredible under any circumstance. He did not limit his words of wisdom to conceal the evils of the world that his beloved son will thrive upon when he is gone and passed. When Kauki would shed tears that are swelled with undead loneliness and humiliating self loathing, it was his Father who would softly speak to him in words of comfort that went:
“Sorrow, age-long sorrow, shall come upon the Weaving Maiden when she leaves her loom.”
He would then dry up his deep brown child eyes and perk out his narrow lined child chest and he would begin to feel an enlightenment about being quite different from the other Japanese children in the yard. Kauki did not feel a need to leave his nest of humble abode, for he can fly and build bridges to cross soaring through the other filthy winged species. And thus with every night, Kauki repeats his Father’s words to his lover, in hopes that she will never leave her loom. They join again at the fall of night, but to his deterioration.
“My love, a storm is coming. A whirlwind of change and chances. A chorus sung by the Gods. With this I will become transparent to you. We cannot greet with full bellies and empty sorrows for a time. Gather your sorrows for me, and come back I will, to stay with you forever.” She whispers to him, another paragraph through starry lips that echoes to his torment.
So there she goes after exchanged farewells, and he now resembles an empty shell. A casted darkness without her in it, and another day less conquered.
As three days pass, Kauki resides inside his home, and retrieves his nest days and parted ways of the children of Japan. Three days of heavy isolation and three days of his wanderment and longful considerations, he drowns out the sound of her echoed symphony.  He has rightfully settled in the burning desire to shine in the night with his lover for eternity. To be included in her longful journey to Jupiter and the Milky Way. A forsaken chosen desire to be free of the temptations he is given from the unity he does not unite with. He is patient for his lovers return, paired with agony and watchful eyes.
When the storm passes by, and the rain dries from his window and his eyes, he feels as though he is unaffected by the changes, and that the whirlwind did not blow out the burning flame in his heart for the return of his dear fascination. He eagerly returns to the white ladder embraced by violet vines.
“Alas, here we are again my love. I wish that your journey didn’t find you weary,” he gleams to her, “I listened carefully to your echoes, and I called for you in my dreams. I have not gathered my sorrows, for I have gathered my thoughts instead. My mind repeats the thought of aching to shine in the night just like you, and serve as constellations for the lonely. I want to watch human morning lips touch, as days turn into dusk as the sunlight touches the horizon. For you are me and I am you. We are here as one together. I ask of your forever with me.” He waits for her reply as defeated as can be, for he is tired of the sunlight. He is exhausted from the taunts of his trembling anxious hands when she is away. As she begins to speak, he starts to lose his place on the rooftop.
“My trip to the heavens has been hell, they kiss as the sun and moon do. As you were dreaming of me when I was so far away, I was dreaming of a day where I can shine in the night onto the casted lonely without the feeling of the same. Shine with me, my dearest departure, I will take you in my care. We will gleam in the night in the moonlit sky and leave as one at the break of day.” As she finishes her final words, Kauki starts to fall from the height, and with his last breathe he strays from day and says
With that he says, he fell quite dead, into the meadows of green and cherry blossom trees. From that day on, the clouds haven’t been seen, and the rain hasn’t fallen a drop. For the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, but night had fallen just for them.

What inspired me to write this is my love for Japan's culture and the possible romantic tendencies of the one's we look down upon.