Repossessed | Teen Ink

Repossessed

Kiriel, a fallen, bored with his job of making souls who have done wrong repent for their misdeeds for eternity. He felt like a small thing forever following its purpose. "I was just fed up, you know: fed up with being a cog in a vast machine." (Jenkins 1). He wanted a vacation from his job, but first, he had to take shape since demons are of no physical being. He questioned everything, why this and why that, but also why did everyone see his kind as antagonists to the unfallen. He also wonders why humans do anything and what purpose does it serve them in their short existence. Kiriel had spent a while looking for someone he would want to borrow for his vacation, he found a teenage boy called Shawn, just like your ordinary teenager smelly and unorganized, when Shawn was at his last few moments, Kiriel took over and began living Shawn's life

As Kiriel explores the world with new eyes he enjoys being able to see color and he questions how why everything exists or works, when he explains anything he gives big detail because he had never been able to see it in the past due to not having a body and it made me feel like we take every day things for granted just because we see it every day, we grow to not even notice it or appreciate it after some time passes the same thing happens to Kiriel, he slowly stops appreciating everything as he gets used to it and starts trying to help people to make a mark in the world. Later in the book his tone changes again as he starts talking about mistakes and how they make the world how it is and how mistakes make life interesting. "It's the glitches and twists, I thought, that make this universe unique and compelling. Without flaws, there would be no depth, no substance" (Jenkins 206-207).

The book sometimes has mature themes, so I would recommend this for students in high school because it includes some content young children should not read about and if you are at a high school level you should be able to keep along with the story and be able to understand.