Phoenix, the Son of Light | Teen Ink

Phoenix, the Son of Light

October 23, 2019
By Teddydeng BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
Teddydeng BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place.


He had always been different. 

He wasn’t like the others. Sure, they had their talents. Some could play the violin or the piano and bring tears to their audience’s eyes. Some could do math like nobody’s business. Some could write amazing books with gripping tales in under a minute. Some could run like the wind, while others could kick a soccer ball into a goal from miles away.

But he was different. 

He could do things that nobody else could. Like when his math teacher asked the class a question. He didn’t have to crunch numbers or work out complicated formulas. Somehow the answer would just appear in his head. No matter how difficult the question was. No teacher could give him a question hard enough to keep him busy for more than two seconds. It was as if he could read their minds. During sports games, he only had to look at the other team’s captain and would instantly know the other team’s strategy, and because of this, his teams had never lost a game. Everyone he knew thought he was some kind of god or demi-god, or some kind of alien that had been sent from a distant planet in the universe. It was easy to see why people would think this—he was tall, strong, and handsome, with striking blond hair which somehow seemed to glow with a light of its own. Others thought he was a wizard. Phoenix had lost count of how many times people had said to him, “You’re a wizard, Phoenix!” Despite all this, he had only a few friends. People thought he was too good for them, that they were unworthy of being his friend. Being shy and somewhat of an introvert, he didn’t mind this too much. He did, however, get along extremely well with his friend Tyler. 

Tyler was somewhat the complete opposite of Phoenix. He wasn’t terribly good-looking, nor was he very smart or athletic. He was, however, quite friendly, and what Phoenix liked about him the most was that Tyler didn’t really care much about Phoenix’s abilities. Tyler looked past all of his incredible talents and saw the shy person inside. They would always work together on school projects, and would get together almost every day to hang out. 

Today, Phoenix was extremely excited about a project that they were going to work on in Biology class. Last Friday, his teacher had told the class that on Monday they were going to perform a little experiment—they were going to look at their blood types. Phoenix had been told his blood type by his parents: Type B, just like them. But he had wanted to see for himself how his blood cells would appear under a microscope. For some reason, though, his parents had vehemently denied signing the permission slip. So Phoenix decided to forge his mother’s signature on the permission slip. He wasn’t sure if it would work or not, but it was worth a try. He glanced at the signature again as the rest of the class filed into the room. He had been waiting for this moment for the entire weekend, but now he wasn’t so sure that it was such a good idea. Looking at the other side of the room where experiments were being performed, he saw an array of tools and microscopes scattered around on the tables. A bunch of white cylinders lay in a group together next to the other tools.

RIIIIIING! The bell rang, signaling the start of class. A door opened on the side of the classroom and out walked their biology teacher—an elderly man named Mr. B. Elsky. “Alright class, please hand in your permission slips to me so we can begin the experiment.” Each student handed in their permission slips. Nobody’s parents had declined to sign it. 

With a deep breath, Phoenix stood and walked over to Mr. Elsky. Mr. Elsky saw him and smiled. “Happy 15th birthday, Phoenix. You kids grow up so fast!” Phoenix’s eyes opened wide as he realized that he had forgotten it was his own birthday. “Thank you, Mr. Elsky!” The class sang Happy Birthday. Mr. Elsky handed him a miniature multi-tool as a gift. 

“Now where’s that permission slip?” Phoenix smiled nervously and handed him the slip. Mr. Elsky looked at him. “Why do you look so nervous? You look like someone who’s just forged their parent’s signature.” Phoenix maintained his smile, but on the inside, he almost screamed. He knows! To his relief, Mr. Elsky glanced at the signature and put it on his desk, along with the other permission slips. “Alright class—find a partner and get started!” 

Phoenix walked over to a table in the corner of the room. Tyler was already waiting there. He gave a knowing smirk. “You did forge the signature, didn’t you?” Phoenix glanced nervously around. “Shush! I  really want to do this.” Tyler patted him on the back. “It’s fine. Your secret’s safe with me.” 

Mr. Elsky began reading out instructions. “Okay class—no fooling around! I’d rather not have to send somebody to the emergency room. I’d hate to have to explain to the nurse the reason why one of my students has a giant, bleeding hole in their arm.” Everyone chuckled. “Check to make sure that the tube is hooked up to both the vial and the collection device. Now take your partner’s hand. See that white cylindrical thing on the table? The one with a blue button on top? Pick that up. The person who’s getting pricked: hold out your middle finger—NOT like that, Michael! The person who’s doing the stabbing—hold the white cylinder with the button towards yourself. Hold the other end against your partner’s fingertip. Is everyone ready?” Phoenix glanced at the cylinder held against his finger. “If you kill me, I’ll find you and haunt you forever, he said” Tyler responded with an evil smile. “Three, two, one, press the button!,” said Mr. Elsky. Phoenix felt a sharp pain against his fingertip. “Everyone--toss the used cylinders into this bin over here. See the blood beginning to drip out of your partner’s finger?,” Elsky continued. “Take the collection device and hold the open end carefully against the wound so blood flows into the tube. Nobody is allowed to drink the blood—I don’t want any vampires in my classroom! Alright, seal off the tube and set it off to the side. Switch roles!”

After all this was done, the vials of blood were hooked up to a special microscope designed for viewing cells. “Okay everyone, go ahead and look at your blood. Write down on the sheet of paper a description of what you see and what you think your blood type is.” Phoenix looked into the viewing lens. He saw a multitude of red dots floating around. He slowly rotated the handle on the side and zoomed in to one of the red dots. He saw tiny structures on the blood cell. Phoenix checked the reference sheet on the table. He checked the microscope. He sat back in confusion. 

Something wasn’t right. “Uh… Mr. Elsky?” The teacher walked over. “What is it? You’re not developing a taste for blood, are you?” Phoenix gave him a weak smile. “Can you help confirm what blood type this is?” Mr. Elsky sat down and peered into his viewing lens. “Mmmm… ahhhh, there it is….” He looked up. “My boy, you have Type A blood.” Phoenix raised an eyebrow. “What?” Mr. Elsky stared at him, confused. “Is there a problem?” A small lump of worry began growing in Phoenix’s throat. He checked the microscope again. It was unmistakable—Type A antigens were dotting the surface of the blood cell. “But…but my parents have Type B blood…?” Mr. Elsky’s eyes widened. The class grew silent. “Ahem…uhm…well I’m sure that…” Mr. Elsky cleared his throat. “Perhaps there’s some mistake?” Phoenix barely heard him. I have type A blood? How is this possible? I saw this on the paperwork from their annual checkup....they both have type B…What is going on?” Suddenly a new thought entered his brain. Am I adopted? He gasped. He tried to ignore the thought, but….for some reason, in a scary way, it made perfect sense.

Both of his parents had brownish hair and a tan complexion. Both had hazel-colored eyes. Neither of them were extremely tall. But, Phoenix was different. His golden hair and light skin were a stark contrast with his parents’ skin and hair color. He was quite tall for his age, and it was very hard to see any part of his mother’s or his father’s face in his own. He didn’t want it to be true, but…

Phoenix slowly stepped back from the table. The classroom began spinning around him. Sounds echoed in his mind. One thought repeated itself over and over—I’m adopted…I’m adopted… Suddenly, he turned and ran from the class. 

His home was about twenty minutes from his school, but the trip went by in a blur. It seemed as if only a few seconds had passed when he pounded on his front door. The door opened. His mother, Elizabeth, peered at him. “Phoenix? Is everything alright?” Phoenix stared at the woman who claimed to be his biological mother. Her dark hair and tan skin seemed even darker than before. “Mom, am I adopted?” His mother’s eyes widened. “I… Of course not, sweetie. What are you talking about?” Phoenix swallowed a lump in his throat. “I did the blood experiment today, Mom. I’m Type A. Not Type B, like you and dad. And I look so different from both of you. Is it true, Mom?” 

His mother looked at him, fear growing in her eyes. Suddenly, she seemed to deflate. She let out a long breath. “Come in, Phoenix. I guess it’s time.” Phoenix stepped into the living room, heart pounding. His father Charlie had been listening in the hallway and was now coming into the room. His mother brought him to the couch. “Phoenix, sweetie—it’s true. We….we aren’t your biological parents.” Phoenix’s head pounded. He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself. “Why?” He tried to sound cold, but his voice came out as a hoarse croak instead. His parents glanced at each other. “Son…this isn’t easy to explain. You… we… aren’t… this isn’t…” His father took a deep breath. “We don’t come from Earth. We aren’t from here. Your mother and I—and you—come from a world of magic. A world of wizards, witches, sorcerers… everything we’re sure you’ve conjured in your imagination.” Phoenix sat dumbly. “What?” His mother took his hand. “You’re a wizard, Phoenix.” A sudden surge of anger arose inside of him. “Mom, this isn’t a joke. I want to know why I’m adopted!” His mother squeezed his hand. “Honey… do you ever think about exactly why you’re so smart? How exactly you’re so good at analyzing other sports teams’ ideas? It’s because… well… it’s because you can read people’s minds. It’s one of your abilities.” Phoenix sat there silently. “Remember when you somehow set fire to that tree over there and you had no idea how? Or the time when you wished it would rain and the next day it did?” 

Phoenix almost wanted to believe her. It was true—what she just said did happen. But still… there had to be some sort of rational explanation for what he could do—certainly not “magic.” Maybe the air was dry and a stray spark caused the tree to light up… and maybe he was just simply lucky that it had rained the next day. Perhaps he was just an extremely smart person. He shook his head fiercely. “I don’t believe you. Can you just stop pretending? Stop making up whatever you’re trying to make up! Wizards aren’t real. Magic isn’t real. Just tell me the truth!” 

His father and mother looked at each other. Finally, after a long moment of silence, his father stood up. “Okay. We’ll show you instead.” His mother gently raised him to his feet. “Show me? What?” His father led them to his office, then locked the door behind them. He walked to his desk. “Elizabeth?” His mother walked over to his father. Both took out a small key that they always wore on their neck and inserted them into a drawer with two keyholes. The drawer clicked and opened. His father reached in and took out a smooth stone. Faint colors glowed in the stone. Both of his parents took a deep breath. "Phoenix, come place your hand on the stone." Phoenix frowned, but did as his mother had asked. His father closed his eyes and began chanting in a strange language. Phoenix watched. Suddenly, the stone began glowing. Phoenix's eyes widened. Light filled the room. With a bright flash, all three of them vanished from the office.

Phoenix rubbed his eyes. "What..." He stopped and stared. 

In front of him was a small cottage. Behind it were large fields of what seemed to be vegetables. Large, jagged mountains loomed in the distance. The sky was a deep purple-black. "Welcome to Zioth...our home world." His mother said behind him. Phoenix stared at her. "This is actually real. Wait... this is real?" His parents nodded. Phoenix took a few steps. "What is this place?” Charlie glanced around. “It is, as we said, a world of magic. It is ruled by the Xedanyu, a group of dark wizards who overthrew the kings that had ruled in the past. They rule with an iron grip. No fun is allowed, no music, no laughter, no light. Any who break the rules are punished severely. The people who live here have been brainwashed into believing that this is the only way of life, and that there is no other way. There is, however, a group of secret wizards who have been plotting to overthrow the Xedanyu. We believe that both our parents belonged to this group. They’ve been awaiting the arrival of a “child of light, one with hair of the sun” who’s been prophesized to defeat the shadow and bring back the light.” Phoenix gasped. “But my hair is…” Elizabeth nodded. “When one of the Xedanyu gave birth to you, Lord Eveshelon—high ruler of the Xedanyu—immediately ordered you to be sacrificed.” “Hang on,” Phoenix said. “I’m the son of an evil witch?” Both his parents nodded. “On the night of the sacrifice, a group of the secret wizards raided the castle and stole you from the clutches of the Xedanyu. We were given the task of protecting you. That’s why we were sent to live in the other world—Earth. We were to tell you of your true identity when the time was right. When you discovered that you were adopted, we decided that the time had come.” Phoenix nodded slowly. “So…I’m supposed to bring back the light somehow?” Charlie opened his mouth to reply, but suddenly hands seized them from behind. Elizabeth cried out. The air filled with a bright flash. 

A rock wall was facing Phoenix. He looked around, confused. He appeared to be in a cave or cavern of some sort. Three torches on the wall threw light upon the cavernous room. He realized that he was alone, and that his parents were not with him. “Hello? Mom? Dad?” his voice echoed around the cave. 

No answer.

Suddenly something zinged past his ear and slammed into the rock wall in a shower of rocks. He gasped and turned around. “Who’s there?” A blast of something green colored—was it magic?—shot past his head. “What’s going on here?” Another blast zoomed past his nose. “Why are you attacking me?” BLAM! Phoenix staggered back in pain. A blast had directly hit his stomach. He looked up, eyes narrowed. 

A figure materialized out of the shadows. It wore a dark colored outfit with a hood over its head. Its right hand held a long wooden staff. On the tip of the staff glowed a bright green jewel. “Who are you? What have you done with my parents?” Phoenix’s initial fear was now giving way to anger. The figure spun its staff and sent two more blasts of green magic at him. Phoenix tried to dodge them, but tripped and fell. He looked up in horror as another blast of magic shot directly towards his face. He raised his hand in an effort to shield himself. To his amazement, a blast of golden-yellow magic shot out of his hand and blocked the green blast. The figure stepped back. Phoenix stood. “Where are my parents?” The figure suddenly darted forward, shooting a huge array of green blasts. Phoenix gasped. Out of instinct, he spread his hands outwards. A huge shield made of golden dust formed and absorbed all of the blasts. Phoenix nearly fell down again out of amazement. He raised his right hand and threw it forward as if he were throwing a ball. A ball of golden light shot forward and slammed into the figure. The figure fell back. Phoenix allowed himself a tight smile. He raised both his hands and shot forth blasts of golden light. The figure leapt up, and, spinning his staff, managed to block all of incoming shots. He leapt forward, slashing and blasting. Phoenix shot forth a huge blast of light which sent the figure flying into the wall. He gazed at his hands. This is amazing! Everything that his parents had said was true—he was a wizard! Wait…my parents… 

He walked forward, a blazing ball of light forming in his left hand. He leaned over the figure and snarled, “Where are my parents?” The figure shifted. It raised its hands. Phoenix tensed, expecting another barrage of magic. 

Instead, the figure took off its hood. His father’s face stared back at him. Phoenix gasped. “What…?” Charlie stood and hugged him. “This was a test to see if you were really who you were supposed to be. The Child of Light. And…you passed. Congratulations, my son. You have discovered your true magical abilities.” Phoenix was dumbfounded. “But then…where’s Mom?” A hand touched his shoulder. “Right here, Phoenix.” His mom was standing next to him. Phoenix hugged her. “Where are we?” 

“You are home.” A new voice sounded from the shadows of the cave. A silhouette materialized into view and stepped into the torchlight.  It was a man, dressed in long, flowing robes. Others wearing the same gear stepped into view. “We are the group fighting against the evil rule of the Xedanyu. We have been awaiting your return for many years, and now, finally, you have returned.” Phoenix stared. “So… if I’m really a child of Light… how am I supposed to defeat a huge group of evil sorcerers? I’m just getting into this whole magic thing.” The man smiled. “Do not worry. We have been preparing for this attack for years, ever since you were born. We will take care of everyone else—your job is to summon the Eye of Light.” Phoenix frowned. “The Eye of What?” “The dark and light manifest themselves in various physical forms throughout Zioth, but two forms are the very source of both the light and the dark: The Heart of Darkness and the Eye of Light. Both exist in balance—it is impossible to destroy one of the jewels. If you attempt to destroy the Eye, it will simply reform itself somewhere else as a new jewel. Likewise with the Heart. One cannot exist without the other. 

Long ago during the Golden Ages, the Eye sat in the crown of the kings of old, spreading light and love throughout the world. The crown is connected to the world of Zioth itself—it was forged many eons ago from the very core of our world. If any of the two jewels are placed within it, the world will be bathed with the essence of that jewel.

 Unfortunately, the kings eventually began to believe that there was no way that the darkness would return. They grew lazy and unwatchful, which allowed the formation of the Xedanyu, a group of dark wizards who wished to bring back the darkness. When they attacked during the reign of King G. Racey—the last king of the Golden Ages—nobody was prepared to repel them. In fact—King Racey did not know how to harness the power of the Eye of Light and was unable to repel the attack. The castle was captured in moments. During the attack, the Eye was stolen and destroyed with a special spell that prevented it from reforming into a new jewel. Just before King Racey was captured, however, he managed to also destroy the Heart of Darkness. It reformed somewhere in the Shadowlands. 

The Shadowlands are the lands from which the darkness originated—it is dark, barren, and always covered with a black fog. Only the truly evil can find their way without being lost. It is still being searched for to this day. We do not know what happened to the Eye, only that it must have attached itself to you. We believe that with your presence, the Eye will return to us. We will be able to use that to drive back the darkness and to free the people of Zioth.” Phoenix nodded slowly. I can’t believe this all started from a blood test in Bio class… “Come. We have gathered together some old magical artifacts from the Golden Ages. They hold a vast amount of dormant Light within them, and we think that with your presence, the Light will awaken and form the Eye.” Phoenix walked over to a circle of runes drawn in the ground. Golden staves and wands were arranged around the circle. Small glowing yellow crystals were placed in between them. Phoenix stepped over them and sat in the circle. “Close your eyes and concentrate on the light within yourself. Imagine the Eye of Light coming to you.” In the back of his mind, he imagined how ridiculous this would sound when he told Tyler the story. He took a deep breath and concentrated. He imagined a jewel of light appearing before them. He imagined the darkness being driven out of the kingdom. Suddenly he felt a tingling in his stomach. It was working! He concentrated harder, and—

Errrrp! 

He let out a loud belch. His parents immediately began chuckling, then cleared their throats, suddenly trying to look solemn. Phoenix scratched his head, embarrassed. “Sorry…I don’t think it’s working…?” The man was about to say something when footsteps sounded. A young boy rushed into the cave. “Raechon! The comet is arriving. We should begin the attack now!” The man—apparently named Raechon—sighed. “Perhaps we will be able to drive back the darkness without the Eye, although without the Eye to keep it back….” He glanced at Phoenix. “A comet—Spire’s Comet—is flying by the world today. A great wizard named Spire once used this comet a millennium ago to drive back the darkness, bringing the beginning of the Golden Ages. It only flies past once every millennia—each time it does so, the darkness in the world is temporarily weakened severely. The Xedanyu will be powerless. We must attack now if we are to take back the castle.” Phoenix nodded. “Go attack. I’ll come with you—maybe the Eye will appear if I sit on the throne where King Racey once sat.” Raechon nodded. “Not a bad idea.” He turned to the rest of the wizards. “Come! It is time. Spire’s comet is upon us. The time has come for the Light to reclaim the people of Zioth! Let us go! For Zioth!” The wizards roared. They surged into a side tunnel leading out into the capital city of Cenawren. Phoenix and his parents followed. They surged into the streets. Blasts of magic filled the air. They were already halfway to the castle! We’re going to make it! Phoenix thought. 

Suddenly, up ahead, the gates of the castle opened. A wave of black-robed wizards poured out of the castle gates. Streaks of dark shadow magic rose into the air, raining down upon the wizards. Blasts of light drove them back, but the tide of sorcerers was endless. The two sides clashed in the center of the city, roaring and shouting. Houses began falling apart as blasts shot everywhere. Suddenly a black-robed wizard appeared in front of him. The sorcerer hissed. “Child of light!” He took out a black wand and raised it. The ground shook. Without warning, two enormous vines erupted from the ground beneath the sorcerer and ensnared him their grip. Phoenix turned. Both his parents were aiming their staves at the sorcerer. “Go son! We’ll be fine! Get to the castle!” Phoenix shook his head. “I won’t leave you!” A new voice hissed next to his ear. “Too bad—it looks like you’re going to have to!” A hand grabbed his ear and threw him to the ground. Phoenix looked up and gasped. A tall sorcerer with eyes burning with crimson hate was staring down at him. Quickly, Phoenix shot his hands forward. A blast of golden light sent him flying into the air. Phoenix blinked. He stood and tried to find his parents. It was impossible. He was surrounded by a sea of wizards. Blasts of magic filled the air. He realized with horror that the tide of shadow was beginning to repel the forces of light. No…

The sky overhead began glowing a pale white. He craned his head upwards. 

A small dot of light shone on the horizon. It rose higher and higher, leaving a trail of stardust as it streaked across the sky.

Spire’s Comet!

The wizards began cheering with joy. Blasts of shadow instantly vaporized into thin air as the pale light from the comet shone overhead. The forces of light began pushing the Xedanyu back towards the castle.


He turned reluctantly and tried to make his way to the castle. An idea entered his mind. I wonder if I can fly…? He crouched low and jumped for the sky. He expected to plummet back down to the ground, but instead he found himself soaring high above the town. I’m flying! He almost screamed with joy. He flew towards the castle. A balcony caught his gaze, and he headed towards it. Oh my God….how am I going to land?! He tried to slow down, but he crashed hard into the balcony and rolled into a wall. He rubbed his head. “Ow….” Phoenix stood up and peered inside. A single throne was situated at the end of a grand hall. This must be the throne room… He ran down to the throne. 

All was silent. Not a sound was in the air. Phoenix couldn’t even hear the sounds of the fight below. He carefully climbed up to the throne and sat down in it. The throne felt cold. He closed his eyes and imagined the Eye of Light appearing before him. 

Nothing happened.

Worry rose in him. He concentrated harder when suddenly…

“Well… if it isn’t the Child of Light…” 

Phoenix opened his eyes. A tall shadow stood before him. An aura of evil and darkness filled the room. He gasped. Two burning black eyes stared down at him. He tried to back away, but realized that he was sitting on a throne. He looked at the shadow with terror. The shadow stood there, unmoving. “You… you are Phoenix Venathron… of Charlie and Elizabeth Venathron… are you not?” Phoenix sat there silently, too afraid to say anything. “But no… you are not their true child, are you…? No…you are one of the Xedanyu…you are one of mine…” The shadow turned, facing away from him. “You are the child of Be’likh’nah’trud Eveshelon…wife to the Sorcerer of Shadow, the One of Darkness, the High Ruler of the Xedanyu, and King of Zioth….” The shadow paused and turned slowly to face him again. “Lord…Eveshelon…” Phoenix’s eyes opened wide and he gasped. My mother’s last name was Eveshelon? But that means my father was…. He swallowed. “Are you Lord Eveshelon?” The shadow stood there, unmoving. “I am. I am…your father…” Phoenix swallowed again. “Are you here to defeat me?” Lord Eveshelon asked. “I am. I am the Child of Light…and I’m here to drive you out,” Phoenix said defiantly. Lord Eveshelon chuckled. “Well then, Child of Light…my son…where is your Eye? If you are truly the Child of Light, then you would have been able to summon the Eye by now…” He laughed softly. “Perhaps you are not who you think you are.” Phoenix tried to ignore the doubt growing in his mind, but the defiance in him was draining away slowly. “I…I just want to go home.” Lord Eveshelon laughed again. “Not so brave, are you? Well…if you can find the Heart of Darkness for me…I shall let you go.” Phoenix jumped out of the throne. “I won’t! I’ll—I’ll defeat you!” Phoenix fired a blast of golden light. He watched in horror as the blast was simply absorbed into the figure’s robes. Lord Eveshelon laughed again. “But…but Spire’s Comet…” Phoenix sputtered.

“You cannot defeat me. I am too powerful to fall under the influence of a silly comet.” Eveshelon smiled evilly. Phoenix stepped back slowly. Despair was growing inside him. Where was the Eye? Why wasn’t this working? His gaze suddenly landed on the crown that sat atop Lord Eveshelon’s head. The words of Raechon echoed in his mind: Long ago during the Golden Ages, the Eye sat in the crown of the kings of old, spreading light and love throughout the world… If any of the two jewels are placed within it, the world will be bathed with the essence of that jewel… Suddenly a blast of shadow slammed into his chest, throwing him onto the floor. He gasped in pain. It was unlike anything he had ever felt. The shadow burned like fire, but felt as cold as ice at the same time. It radiated throughout his body. He felt too weak to stand. Lord Eveshelon walked over to him. “Enough of this. What is your answer? If you do not wish to aid me, then I shall simply…dispose of you, as I planned to do so many years ago…” Phoenix spat at him. “Never!” Lord Eveshelon raised one hand, glowing with shadow. “Very well…say farewell, my son…” Phoenix closed his eyes, preparing for the final strike. Voices echoed in his mind, repeating one single phrase: Child of Light…Child of Light… 

He opened his eyes and saw his reflection in Lord Eveshelon’s black eyes. He saw his hair glowing gold in his reflection. 

It all became clear.

Just as Lord Eveshelon was going to strike, Phoenix heaved himself up and lunged at the crown. He tore it off Lord Eveshelon’s head and landed behind him on the ground. Eveshelon gasped. “HOW DARE YOU!” His voice shook the castle. Phoenix clutched the crown and concentrated. His hair began to shine. Golden light began to glow from his body. Lord Eveshelon gasped and stepped back. “What is this magic?” The crown in his hands began to glow. Dark magic evaporated off of its surface like steam, revealing gold underneath. Phoenix shone brighter and brighter, as if he was the sun itself. Lord Eveshelon screamed as he began melting into shadow. “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” 

He vanished into a cloud of mist. Light filled the throne room. The crown shone. Golden sparks flew everywhere. He held the crown high and called upon the light within himself.

The comet, having already passed overhead, was fading into the distance. The blasts of shadow from the Xedanyu became more powerful as the comet’s influence faded. Charlie glanced around in despair as the Xedanyu began pushing back against the forces of light once more. We are so close…

Suddenly, in the distance, a huge column of light shot into the sky from the castle. It struck the dark sky. The ground shook. A ring of light spread outwards from the column, dissolving the darkness. Sunlight began to shine on the town. The wizards around him began to cheer as they realized what had happened. 

The Eye of Light had returned! 

Another ring of light swept out from the castle, purifying the land of years of darkness. The Xedanyu began to flee as they realized what had happened. “They are powerless! Drive them from the city!” Raechon’s voice shouted over the fray. The crowd of wizards roared as they began chasing after the Xedanyu. Charlie took Elizabeth’s hand and began running towards the castle.

Phoenix was laying on the floor, still and unmoving. His hair was now dark and his skin matched that of his parents—Elizabeth and Charlie. The crown, glowing gold and sparkling with light, was sitting next to him. Charlie gasped and ran over to Phoenix. He shook him gently. “Phoenix? Are you okay?” 

Phoenix’s eyes fluttered open. “What…what happened?” Elizabeth helped him up. “Phoenix…you did it. You drove back the darkness and saved the people of Zioth.” Phoenix shook his head, confused. “But how?” they asked. His gaze landed on an oval-shaped yellow jewel on the ground. It all came flooding back. “Of course…Mom, Dad…when the Eye was destroyed all those years ago, it couldn’t reform properly because of the spell. So it searched for a host to reside in, and I guess it found me—the son of the Lord of Shadow. I realized that right when he was about to kill me. I grabbed the crown and called up the jewel from inside me. I guess it awakened and drove the Shadow from the crown. And…I guess it somehow reformed itself into its true form after I called it from within me.” He picked up the jewel. It radiated a soft warmth. An aura of calmness and happiness washed over him. He took the crown and inserted the jewel into a slot in the front of the crown. It flashed softly. Waves of light radiated from the crown before settling. 

“Congratulations, Phoenix.” They turned to see Raechon stepping into the throne room. “Thank you for returning the light to us. Thank you for giving us freedom.” He knelt on one knee. 

Phoenix felt humbled by this display of respect. He glanced at his parents. Knowing what he was asking them, they both nodded. Phoenix walked to him and set the crown on his head. The Eye of Light sparkled and shimmered. Raechon looked up and gasped. “Phoenix…why?” 

“I can’t stay here. I have my own world to return to. I know that I was born here…and that I belong here, but…” He gazed at the bright sky. “I miss the home in which I was raised. I miss my friend Tyler, and many other things about Earth.” He looked at Raechon. “You are worthy of the crown. I know you will be a good king.” Raechon cleared his throat. “I…there are no words to express my feeling of gratitude. I thank you, Phoenix.” Phoenix smiled and knelt before the new king. Unbeknownst to all of them, all the townspeople and all the wizards who had fought in the battle had entered the throne room and were watching. As Phoenix knelt, they all began clapping and cheering. “Long live King Raechon!” 

King Raechon stood and gazed at the three of them. “Return home, friends. You will always be welcome here in Zioth.” Phoenix took his parents’ hands. “I’ll see you later, Raechon.” Phoenix said. The king waved in farewell. Charlie reached for the portal stone in his pocket, but the king stopped him. “Allow me.” He raised his staff over them and whispered a spell. Golden dust rained down upon them. They began to feel sleepy…so very sleepy…

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! 

Phoenix groaned and slammed his hand down on the snooze button. The alarm clock quieted. He rubbed his eyes and looked around. 

He was in his bedroom. Morning rays of sunshine streamed in through his window. He stood and glanced at his clock. It read 6 AM, Sunday—a week after the event in Biology class.  He tried to remember what had happened since then…Of course! That weird dream about wizards and sorcerers…But was it truly a dream? He wondered. Phoenix pondered this thought as he went downstairs for breakfast. 

The sun rose. And as its rays shone down on Phoenix’s bed, something small and oval-shaped began to glow softly on his pillow. 


The author's comments:

Blessed with good looks and unusual abilities, Phoenix is a teenager who feels like a stranger in the world. His otherness is as evident to others as it is to himself, and for a long time remains a mystery to him. But by virtue of an experiment in his biology class, he embarks on a journey that leads him to discoveries about his identity, and a world where the archetypical battle between good and evil is on full display.