Feast of Failure | Teen Ink

Feast of Failure

By rjlacho BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
rjlacho BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

Diary Entry #13,

I have failed my duties. I lost my fight against the man of all strength. I was going about my regular business in Herot, thinking about all the men I would feast on. I was eager to fulfill the hunger inside my stomach. I was oblivious to the fact that it would be the day that ended my joy and introduced my suffering. Suddenly, my joy faded as confusion crossed my mind. I felt a stinging in my arm as the heroic enemy of all bloodthirsty creatures broke my hand. I always knew I was the strongest, so I never had any fear in my mind about defeat. This time, I was the one screaming from the pain. I almost thought I could hear the disappointment and sorrow of my mother back home. I made it out of the kingdom and back to my swamp, but my arm was gone, and I did not know if I would make it out alive. I hoped my legacy would survive in the hands of other creatures so the humans and the weapon-made man would suffer as I did. As my blood dripped from my shoulder, I said my final goodbyes and wishes for humankind to be destroyed.

Farewell,

Grendel