Till Death Do Us Part | Teen Ink

Till Death Do Us Part

March 14, 2022
By ana16c GOLD, Hartford, Wisconsin
ana16c GOLD, Hartford, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Till Death Do Us Part”-- A sworn oath from their wedding day; marking the beginning of a new era. A new bright future together, the dream to grow old together.

But as days passed into years, the world grew darker. Blue skies turned to a hazy gray, sunshine muted by the unavoidable feeling of unease. Discomfort churned in every stomach, panic in every mind. But they loved each other nonetheless. Hands held as they ran down the street, laughing, singing, avoiding falling debris from nearby buildings. Candlelight dinners lit by burning streets, with screams and sirens were the soundtrack to every dance.

One evening they could be seen on a nearby bridge— curled together, watching the flaming sun dipped below the horizon. The light dimmed, and for a second there was pitch black. Street lights flickered on slowly. The ground rumbled. And then, an explosion of light. Hand in hand, they ran, sprinted down the street. Tongues of fire licked buildings in the background, slowly absorbing them until they were no more. The heat raced closer, racing like their hearts, chasing them down the street. She turned around to look behind her—and time slowed.

Her foot hit the ground, pushing herself forward as she saw the incoming flames. A teddy bear, along with a dark figure disappeared into its wake, screaming grew muffled, then silent. Her other foot reached the pavement, as she looked up. His eyes were ablaze— glassy and brown. But he smiled wide, looking into her eyes, mustering a smile as best he could. Arms wrapped around each other. They embraced as the flames crept in. And the world went orange.