The Words | Teen Ink

The Words

The words echoed to his brain as he stood in the wind, pushing through his long hair. The  words give him a sense of sadness, anger, and nauseusness, as confusion fills his mind, every step he took, he felt his body go backwards. The words caused the sadness. The words caused the pain.Suddenly the nature around him slowly fades, the sky goes dark, and the dandelions fray. He feels himself in a dark room slowly turning, his mind spinning, reminiscing the days, nights, thoughts, and experiences, the knowingness of never experiencing it again. He turned around, eyes fixed on her. He stands up, reaching his cold hands towards her, but she's gone. He screams, possessed, losing his mind. He finds a door, a door to escape, to never return. .

In this set piece I try to describe the feelings of a boy who had just lost his mother. I use Anaphora to help emphasise how much his mother’s final words meant to the boy. Anaphora is the repetition or use of a repeated phrase at the beginning of sentences. I used anaphora in the first four sentences. My favorite part of my set piece is the description of the surroundings of the boy.