Erioth | Teen Ink

Erioth

By Superminer BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota
Superminer BRONZE, Mitchell, South Dakota

It is better to be thought ignorant than to speak and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.- Laozi

As I awoke in the early morning light, I sensed a presence. Somewhere in the nearby trees lurked something… or someone. I slowly reached for my bow and my quiver. As my fingers curled around a shaft I heard a snap to my right. My grip tightened on my bow. As I stood, I whipped the arrow onto the bowstring and brought it to full draw. "Show yourself!" I said to whatever lurked in the shadows. No reply.

I could make out a black silhouette near an especially large oak tree. I loosed the arrow a few inches above the figure's head to flush it out. A slender man stepped out from behind the oak. He lowered his hood. He was clad in an Elven cloak and armor, a dagger in each hand. "Mallendar! What're you doing here?" I lowered my bow.

"I was sent by Rhünin, she told me to tell you that your sword is ready," he replied, putting his daggers back into their sheaths.

"Then why were you sneaking around?"

"I wanted to test your senses."

"You know I could've killed you. Anyway, thanks for informing me." And with that I packed up and headed toward the Elven Capitol, Isthandir.

As I walked into the square, I heard a familiar dull clanging. I trotted off toward the eastern edge of the square. "Rhünin," I said as I entered the blacksmith's hut, "I've come for my sword."

"Croix," she said, setting her hammer on the nearby workbench. "I see Mallendar got the message to you. Just wait here for a second." She went to the back of the smithy. When she returned, she was holding a two foot long scabbard with the pommel of a sword jutting out. She handed the scabbard to me. I grabbed the hilt of the sword and pulled it out.

The hissing of metal on metal followed by a sharp ring filled the room.