The Wind Knows My Name | Teen Ink

The Wind Knows My Name

By aubreyeverdeen BRONZE, Bulacan, Other
aubreyeverdeen BRONZE, Bulacan, Other

"Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open." -Bridge to Terabithia

My windows are all open. I craved for coffee that’s why I went downstairs. While having a sip, I heard it. Someone’s calling me. I did not mind it at first. I continued with my drink until I finished it. Then it happened again. The wind coming from the windows upstairs blew harder. They are indeed calling out for me. I hurried upstairs. They’re here, standing in my windows. They froze my curtains causing it to hang.
I smiled at wind fairies. They have their instruments that’s why grabbed my guitar, too. I started to sing and they joined me. Half of the fairies are singing. The other half is drumming, playing with flutes and other instruments. The wind also sings with us. It blows again but not as hard as earlier. It’s just enough.
I think they noticed that I’m having difficulties playing my guitar.
“Um, I lost my guitar pick you know.” I said while smiling. They gathered for a moment. Suddenly, a beam of light pops up and it lighted up my room. I saw a box wrapped with silver and purple ribbons. The leader of wind fairies later on gives it to me.
“Open that later.” She winked at me. I said thank you. Well the box is as tiny as them. They’re small as my hand, though.

We continued to sing. We did have a little chitchat after and few minutes later they bid me goodbye.

“See you next time?” I muttered to them.
“See you next time.” Said Rue, the leader of wind fairies.
I watched them fly. The winds are now as calm as my heartbeat. My curtains are back to their genuine position. As I watched their traces, a smoke powder suddenly burst out, causing me to sleep.
When I woke up, “A dream, I guess.” I thought.
But it’s not. The gift was still there. When I opened it, a silver guitar pick surprised me. “Seriously, thank you.” I whispered to myself, wishing that they will also hear it.
I’m trying to recall what happened earlier, while singing with my guitar and that silver guitar pick that Rue and the others made for me. I peeked at my window after. I can feel the wind. I closed my eyes but my mind was still wide open. I can still see the traces of their wings. “See you next time guys.”

I'm drinking coffee and a strong wind blew. My imaginations suddenly work and then I managed to write up this story.