The Unknown | Teen Ink

The Unknown

By dani_sumrall BRONZE, Denham Springs, Louisiana
dani_sumrall BRONZE, Denham Springs, Louisiana

After getting home from school Elizabeth, also known as Lizzy, gets on her mothers work computer to type a school assignment. While she’s on her mother’s computer Lizzy finds a secret file and learned that she is actually from a secret group of people, called the epitome, who have special abilities of all kinds. She has always known she was adopted but was led to believe her birth parents had died in a car crash. She now knows that there was no car crash.

Lizzy discovers that her real family died in an attack from the equalizers, who are on a mission to kill everyone like her. They do not believe that the epitome belongs. The girl slowly begins to learn about the secrets of her life from this one computer file. Elizabeth learns that her parents have been using special medicines to suppress her powers and that she has the ability to see the future. But, this is not the worst secret that she discovers.

Her adoptive parents are the ones who killed her true family. They are the leaders of the equalizers. “How could the people who know me better than anyone else in the world be the ones to betray me beyond the point of forgiving,” Lizzy thought, “How could they ever say that they loved me?”

From what she has read Elizabeth learns that there is a place where a large group of the epitome live. This hideout is run by the leader of the epitome; who is reborn every 100 years. The future leader has not one but two abilities; although many have lost hope in this tradition, because after 116 years the new leader has still not been found.

Midnight arrives and Elizabeth has decided to run away and go where she truly belongs. She wants to live where she is meant to be, where her true parents were supposed to raise her. Only one of the epitome can find the hideout; they have a connection to the place. On her way Lizzy is unaware that her mother and father are following her to the epitome hideout.

After her parents learn the destination they send and army of equalizers to kill the entire epitome colony. Lizzy has a vision of the future and knows that the army is coming. She warns the leader of the epitome. Both sided prepare for war but there will be no war if Lizzy can find the leader of the equalizers, her parents, and kill them.

Suddenly everything goes black; pictures begin to form in Lizzy’s mind. She sees woods surrounding a cabin; one that Lizzy has stayed at thousands of times when she was younger. She sees fear, pain, and blood everywhere. Whose blood is she seeing?

Elizabeth comes back to reality with sweat running along her tan face, brown hair falling into her dark eyes, heart pounding as if it may explode out of her chest at any moment. She knows where she must go to find her parents.

Limbs scratch her arm as she makes her way through the cold, damp forest. Out of nowhere her mother drops from a tree and attacks her. Lizzy dodges the attacks for now but can't carry on forever considering how experienced her parents are. She soon hears footsteps behind her and turns to see her father pointing a gun towards her chest. She now knows that all hope is lost. Her dad’s finger goes on the trigger and as the bullet begins flying towards her she throws her hands in front of herself.

Suddenly her father is lying on the ground with a bullet hole through his chest and Lizzy realizes she turned the bullet around. She has not just one but two abilities. Elizabeth is the long lost leader of the epitome. While Lizzy is lost deep in thought her mother runs toward her with arms ready to strangle her. Reflexively Lizzy throws her arms out again and her mother goes flying into a tree. All she sees is blood. Blood is everywhere. Elizabeth's future is unwritten but her destiny is greater than she ever could have imagined.

Do you ever wish that you were special in any way? Well I do. I want to be special so I made my character special. Elizabeth is unique and that is what I, like many others, want to be.