The Creation Of Timekeeping | Teen Ink

The Creation Of Timekeeping

By tyleeklingon BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
tyleeklingon BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

At first there was nothing. No life, nor death. Nothing for the Gods to rule. And nothing for them to destroy. The emptiness was overwhelming, a kind of drifting anxiousness. Like something would happen but it never did. So they created life, and with life came Man and Animals. The Gods gave them two paths that they could choose, but once they chose they could not go back. The first path was the path of guaranteed happiness, a simple life based off of complete obliviousness. The animals chose that path. The second path was the path of intelligence and understanding, without promise of success or nirvana. Man chose that path.

From the beginning Man and Animal evolved apart and lived separate lives. Soon Man became powerful and out of control. Filled with fear and sadness. Creating crime and horrible acts that no god bared to see their creations do. The Gods became angry and acted out of this frustration. Plaguing humans to live in darkness, and rewarding animals with the gift of light. But because of the darkness, man could not grow any crops, and started killing the animals. Soon they moved to the animals side because of the ease of access to hunt and kill. The darkness followed Man, but the Gods could not curse the animals with darkness so they decided to converge light and dark. Thus, the first day.

With day, came weeks and with weeks came months. Man became obsessed with this new concept and called it Time. They finally had a sense of balance, and began marking the time between light and dark with tally marks, which soon became seconds. Time quickly evolved and became so involved in the lives of men that time became the basis of living. Time became an immortal force that no God could control. Constantly moving forward. Constantly changing.

But with time came a great and more powerful force. A force that no animal will ever encounter because of their blissful ignorance. The fear of time running out.

I had to write a creation myth in my folklore/mythology class 

on Sep. 14 2014 at 4:37 pm
Kailuasurfer GOLD, Honolulu, Hawaii
Those first few opening sentences are amazing. Great work!