Affliction | Teen Ink

Affliction

By Investigator4 BRONZE, Ewing, New Jersey
Investigator4 BRONZE, Ewing, New Jersey

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

"Stop right there, Kenji."
"It's amazing what friends will do these days."
 I replied whilst trying to maintain a balanced footing.
It's times like these when you really reflect on your life, Haruki, my childhood friend whom I've known since I was 4, is now here either to apprehend me or kill me.

Chapter 1: One encounter too many

"Stop right there, Kenji."
"You made it this way."
"....Perhaps." I replied whilst trying to maintain a balanced footing.
I reached into my black long coat in search of a gadget, but I was out.

Gazing into her cold dead eyes, it was clearly evident that the Haruki that I knew, before Hideyoshi corrupted her mind, was no longer there. In front of me was a killer with too much blood on their hands, and would not cringe the slightest if they were told to kill me right now. I shook my head sadly and reached for my katana.
I tugged the katana from it's hilt and closed my eyes, casting sight and opened my eyes again. Haruki open fired, almost hitting one of my arteries. I released the katana from it's sheath and swung the blade to my right, like a hot knife through butter, the bullet was stopped immediately.
I stood on the ball of my feet and leaned forward, just before Haruki could shoot again, I sprung forward and pointed my blade at the floor to halt myself.

Sight ended just as I closed the gap between us.
Haruki fired twice, but I had already acted, I planted my sword in the ground to pivot my body over hers.
I unsheathed my other katana and started to spin counter clockwise, once I was clear over Haruki’s head, I used the momentum I gathered to imitate a cyclone that was to crash upon her.
She swiftly dodged the attack and shot out a electrifying net. As a reflex, I jumped back to evade the net but I had then realized that I put myself in a bad situation. Being on the surface for even a second is extremely dangerous, I should leave while I can.

I charged at Haruki once more, but I had a target this time.
She sprinted halfway down and slid towards me, she then revealed a magnum that she had hid secretly inside her jacket pocket.
I flipped over Katie's body and landed on the edge of the building but managed to stop myself before I could fall off and turned mid-way before my cheek rested on a cold object.
As soon as I turned around, a large gun had been protruding from the outside of my cheek. "You can still come with me. The king said-" "You can't make me", I mumbled as the gun was still jammed in my cheek.
"I'm a free man and I always will be." I slid my katanas back in their sheath and surrendered my hands in the air. I'd rather die than serve the king, I thought.

The air around us was no longer as tense, my uncombed hair which had tangled itself around my ears and trench coat was brushed gently by the solemn breeze, behind me stood a pitch-black helicopter, being piloted by my closest friend, Takeda.

Takeda immediately fired a bullet off into my direction causing Haruki to leap out of the way and giving me the opportunity to escape.
I sprung towards the helicopter and grabbed onto the landing skids, climbing hastily. Haruki shot a bullet, aiming for my head but by luck, missed.
I scurried into the seat and buckled up immediately, turning my gaze to Takeda.
"This is a recurring event. Are you two getting it on or something?"
"I wish it was that way; every time I leave the hideout she somehow instantly finds me." I shouted as Takeda struggled to evade the bullets that were being shot at us.
The helicopter rose higher and higher into the air, until Haruki’s figure faded into nothing.

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences