Eyes In the Night | Teen Ink

Eyes In the Night

On a quiet, peaceful Saturday night, Joe and Tom decided to go camping during the weekend. Little did they know, they would never escape from the woods… alive. Joe and Tom loved to go camping whenever they could, and were experienced in surviving in the outdoors. The only dangerous encounter they had ever had before this day, was a very curious black bear that had stumbled upon their campsite in the morning. Luckily, they had no harm done to them or their camp during the bear’s stay. After Joe and Tom arrived at the campsite around noon, they had started to unpack their supplies, and set up their tents. “Wow!” exclaimed Joe, “Today seems like the perfect day for camping! Beautiful weather, no clouds, and the refreshing smell of the outdoors in the air!”
“Yep! We really had perfect timing when we planned our trip,” included Tom.
“All-righty then! I’ll get both of our tents set up. Do you mind unpacking all the food for us?” asked Joe.
“For sure.”
Joe and Tom had finally finished setting up their camp at around ten o’ clock. They both decided to finish up their day with some pre-packed dinner, and then finally went to bed in their warm, comfortable tents.

Tom had been awoken. He thought he had heard someone or something searching through their camp, but when he had sat up to listen, no noise had caught his attention. He came to the conclusion that what he had heard… was just the rustling of leaves of a tree, through the wind. So he went back to sleep. An hour or so later, Joe had been woken up by another noise, a different noise. A noise that he had never heard before, and this noise was as clear as day. The noise sounded like the roar of a lion, mixed with the growl of a grizzly bear, with loud, rapid clicking in the background. Joe had to find out what it was, because he knew he could never fall asleep knowing that there was something lurking in the trees around them. Tom had been woken up by the noise that Joe had made rummaging through their supplies to look for a weapon. Joe anxiously asked “What are you doing, Joe?”
Joe quickly replied “There is something out there. And I do not like whatever it is. It sounds like it does not like us either.”
“I heard a noise that woke me up a while ago, but I didn’t hear it well enough to know what it was, so I just went back to sleep. Did you hear something too?”
“Oh yeah, and I heard it well enough to know that it is not something that is supposed to be heard, nor seen, but I intend to find out what it is, and then take care of it…”

And with that, Joe and Tom proceeded to exit their tents, rifles ready and armed. Neither of the two could see a thing. It was pitch-black outside, which frightened the both even more. All of the sudden, the noise had come back. The same noise that Joe had heard, but this time, so loud, and so intense, Joe and Tim had to plug their ears to keep from going deaf! Joe and Tom then immediately whirled around to start sprinting back to their tents, but instead turned to face a large, bright red, glowing, angry pair of eyes staring right back at them. That was the last thing those two people ever saw. When they were reported missing, a search team came to the exact spot where the two set up camp. Everything was gone. Disappeared. Vanished. Not one piece of evidence was left that the two men were ever even there, except for a single drop of blood on a rock in the middle of the camp site.