Look a Little Closer | Teen Ink

Look a Little Closer

By Ebba Westelius BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Ebba Westelius BRONZE, Cupertino, California

People surround themselves with the idea that our world, our universe, is the only one that matters. That way, we don’t feel so insignificant, and we can feel good about making an impact on our world, even though it doesn’t really matter in the long run. In a way, that mindset is a good thing. It encourages people to strive for success and impact, which makes for a better society, but in a way it is an incredibly ignorant mindset. We overlook the possibility of other worlds; ones far more advanced and developed. Let me take you on a journey to show you what I mean.

The sun rises timidly from beyond the blue mountains, like a child peeking around his mother at a stranger. A peaceful, serene silence lies over the forest, and not a strand of grass is out of place. A familiar setting, I’m sure, but look a little closer. The trees stand tall and proud, but their trunks curve in several directions, as if they were unsure of where they were going. The leaves look normal from a distance, but they sport intricate swirls and spirals in various shades of green and brown. In the distance, a river of red and yellow rushes through the valley, striking the cube shaped rocks on their way down. The rumble of a waterfall disrupts the tranquil peace that has settled over the landscape, and a shrill song of joy and spring promises a beautiful day.

As the sun continues it’s journey across the sky, light is shed on the bundles of brightly colored flowers, nestled beneath clusters of leaves. If you take a closer look, you will find that the tree trunks are covered in small fungi, growing in swirls and patterns around the mighty trees, and creating a rugged texture to the smooth bark. Along the foothills of the mountains, nature is in full bloom, bubbling with life and growth. But as we you climb higher, and the tree line moves into view, the rugged, brown rock starts to uncover. Finally, the trees have disappeared, and only a lonely shrub is visible. The leaves look dry and spiky, creating an uneasy feeling that the paradise is gone. Ahead lay spiky towers of rock, like a skyline that was out to hurt you. As the river flows along, it gradually becomes more and more enraged, smashing against rocks and cliffs with enormous fury. At last the source of the rumbling is in sight. Onward, the ground abruptly dips, and the water follows. Like a raging thunderstorm, the sound is deafening.

The sun sets behind a barrier of hills, and the sky turns purple and blue, gradually becoming darker, until all light is gone. Slowly, the world settles in to sleep, and the sound seems to vanish, the river calms down, the birds don’t sing, and the wind ceases. Tomorrow is another day, but maybe it won’t be quite as perfect.

on Apr. 2 2015 at 9:39 am
ABPippins SILVER, League City, Texas

To die may be an awfully big adventure, but to love is an even grander affair -myself

Your use of description is fantastic. The imagery is perfectly formulated through your word choice and structure. Beautiful

ellwist SILVER said...
on Apr. 2 2015 at 4:52 am
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

"They only let you be this happy when they're preparing to take something from you." -Khaled Hosseini, the Kite Runner.

Beautiful and a rather pleasant surprise; it feels like examining a landscape portrait, where the only character that matters is the scenery. Thank you for this.