Ending for “Harrison Bergeron” | Teen Ink

Ending for “Harrison Bergeron”

May 30, 2015
By Khushii PLATINUM, Parsippany, New Jersey
Khushii PLATINUM, Parsippany, New Jersey
20 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Just a girl trying to get her ideas out there.


 She just stood there for a while and stared in awe. An expression of anger mixed with disgust crossed her face as Harrison and his to-be bride crossed the floor once again. “Oh, what to do, what to do?” she muttered to herself. “Ah, yes I could--.” The loud sound of her own shrieking voice echoed in her earpiece, sending a painful vibration to her brain. She lost her train of thought.
With absolutely no idea what she was going to do, Diana Moon Glampers walked up to Harrison. He glanced at her from the corner of his eye and smirked.
“You know you are bound by your own shackles?” he started, “Let me help.” Harrison paused his dance to effortlessly rip off Diana’s earpice. “Now, is that better, or what?”
Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General, stood there herself with no handicaps. She was not equal to the rest of the people. Her face softened the slightest bit. She felt smart.
Harrison was speaking again, “Tell me that does not give you the sensation of freedom and happiness. If we are given the abilities to be strong and smart, we might as well use them. There is no use of stripping people of their good qualities. The dark ages will not come. I know you love having your earpiece off.”
The truth was that...Harrison was right. It felt...good not having noises in her head. Diana recalled when she was a little girl, not having to worry about being equal in every single way. At this moment, she felt the same way. She suddenly realized her mistakes.
“Thank you, Harrison, for showing me what I was too blind to see all these years. From now on, there will be no handicaps. People will be free to show their talents and beauty.
“That’s all I ever wanted,” Harrison replied.


The author's comments:

This was an English assignment. My teacher likes reading us stories and letting us write an ending for it.