Stones in the River | Teen Ink

Stones in the River

By _maddie775_ BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana
_maddie775_ BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana

Seven Hundred Years Ago… Kliffwood Kingdom

A dark shadow formed outside the borders of the sacred castle. Running this figure was a small child with long black hair, scared of what might happen if the men in the white armor were to find her. These “heroes” were the people who always “saved the day” and took the kingdom away from the Unspoken. The villains never win, her mother used to always tell her. The young girl was about to prove her mother wrong.

Two golden stones were in the palms of the rebellious young girl. These stones seemed to have no importance, when in reality the enchanted stones are what keep the people of the kingdom healthy. Without the stones, every person in the Kliffwood Kingdom would become ill. The young girl wanted to prove to the ‘unspoken’ that her family was worthy of being a part of the rebellion. By taking the stones and hiding them, she was to kill the people of the Kliffwood Kingdom.

In the mist that covered the ground, the white knights were barely visible, seeing the young girl smirking back at them, hints of fire in her little eyes. The white knights started chasing the little girl until they came across a chasm of a river, unable to pass. The little girl was now becoming scared, knowing that the guards would probably kill her.

In a blink of an eye the rebel and the knights were now face to face. The girl looked fiercely into the guards’ eyes. “Looking for these?” she said holding up the golden stones. Without thinking, the little girl placed both stones in her one hand, and with the other performed a circle of magic around the stones. They started to slowly rise up, while the girl looked straight at the dumbfounded guards, and then flicked her wrist. The rocks zoomed into the river, never touching the water until they disappeared.

The little girl started talking, “ Never again will you ever be able to steal the kingdom away from the ‘Unspoken’!” With this being told by the young girl, one of the white guards slid a rather shiny sword out from his belt positioning it in a way where he could strike the little girl with one fell swoop.

“Go on, kill me.” Her voice was tender and raspy. The two guards were now seconds away from hurting the rebel. Suddenly, closing her eyes tightly, the young girl felt something very heavy drop onto her feet. With eyes now open, she saw what lied in front of her was a dead guard.

“Th-they can’t be dead. I thought that they were only supposed to be ill!” The girl screamed, tears running down her cheeks. She felt defeated while turning the white guard over to take a look at his face. On the left side of the guard’s eyebrow was a dark red circle. It was not bloody.

Something was wrong - all that this child knew was that this thing that she casted on the kingdom was bad…so terribly bad.
Although the girl felt sorry for the two guards, a feeling bubbled inside of her. Like the young girl had achieved something so great. A smirk appeared then followed by a celebration of laughter and hatred towards the citizens of Kliffwood Kingdom that are now unconscious… or dead.

With the greatest amount of power ever felt in this young body…the little girl ran. She ran far away from the river bend that was the border between the good and evil. Her family was now going to be part of the rebellion.

This piece serves as the prologue to a story that I am writing that revolves around the girl and her quest to get her kingdom back to the Unspoken. My goal is to make the reader want to read more and to learn what will happen in the rest of the story. Fantasy novels have always been very interesting to me. So, I decided to make my own fantasy story and develop my own situation, along with descriptive characters.