Telling a Story to My Brother | Teen Ink

Telling a Story to My Brother

January 25, 2016
By Hashem BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
Hashem BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There was once a king, named Shahrayar, who was insane. Great start to the story yeah? I mean how many times in history have we heard about an insane king. Moving on, this king literally killed his wives on the first day. No it wasn't from how annoying they were, he just did it for fun. This guy didn't realize what he was doing, he thought this was just a fun game in his head, but truthfully he was hurting the families of these women who have died from this idiotic man. They couldn't do anything about it as well because he was a king.

Then this woman came along named Shahrazad, this king wanted to marry her, but her father wasn't ready to let her go.

"Let her go? As in like Let It Go in that one movie?"

"Faisal, do you realize how childish you just sounded... Moving on."

Shahrazad wasn't your typical type of woman, she was clever, she already had a plan before she even got married to this man. She was going to use her stories to her advantage.

It was the same night of the wedding, and Shahrazad was already sitting down on her side of the bed on where she thinks she'll be sleeping at night. The man then slowly reaches for his sheathed knife as he grins at Shahrazad.

"What does sheathed mean?"

"It mean's to encase or protect something with a cover.".

"Like the cover on your phone?"

"Yes like the cover on my phone, I'm gonna continue with the story now."

But before the knife could be two thirds of the way unsheathed or if you me to simplify it for you, but before the knife could be two thirds of the way uncased,  Shahrazad asked Shahrayar a question.

"Do you like stories?" She asked,

"Yes I do, thats why your telling me this one, aren't you?!"

"I wasn't asking you, its apart of the story!"

"Oh...."

"Of course, who doesn't like a good story?" He replied while putting back the knife in its original position.

"Good." Shahrhazad said with a grin that was slowly breaking because of the nervousness she was feeling.

She began her story like any other, "Once upon a time,"


"You didn't start your story with once upon a time."

"If you want me to leave I will."

"No stay!"

She began her story like any other, "Once upon a time," and then continued while the king slowly starting to lay down on the other side of the bed, Shahrazad nervously sits up straight while still continuing the story.

As Shahrazad gets towards the end she stops and says with a yawn, "I'm tired, I think I'm going to bed."

"Why did you stop there?!"

Filled with anger I reply, "Are you even listening to what I'm saying, I said Shahrazad stops, and says with a yawn, listen again, says,  I didn't say that as in I was tired, now please pay more attention."

Shahrayar with a anxious look on his face says, "Why have you stopped there? We were so close to the ending!"

"Did you just make that up from me?"

"No!"

Shahrazad replied, "I know, but maybe you have to find out tomorrow what happens, I'm off to bed now." Shahrazad then lays down under the blanket waiting for a knife to be stabbed straight through her heart, but that doesn't happen. Instead she finds herself in the dark, with the man who she thought would kill her to her side, sleeping like a baby. Shahrazad had just realized her plan worked.

This same pattern continued for over one thousand nights.

"Wasn't it one thousand and one nights?"

"Just go with it, its not like anything special happened on that one night. Oh wait..."

Until the king had no intention to kill his wife anymore on the one thousand and first night, and  they were finally a true couple who loved and cared for each other, and they lived till old age and died together, yeah I know, you expected more of a childish ending didn't you?


"What do you mean childish ending, are you calling me a kid?"

"You know what? They lived happily ever after, is that better for you, you child?"

"Ye"

"Where's the S?"

"It went to bed, good night."