Copper | Teen Ink

Copper

By Bamasam06 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois
Bamasam06 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois

We were always warned about it. There were plenty of books, movies, hell, even an award winning TV Series about it, but it was all fiction. Zombies weren’t real. Any rational human being knew better than to believe in whack-jobs with dusty cans in their basements who claimed the dead would rise; But seeing is believing, and boy did we get an eye full.
People have their theories of how the disease spread, lab experiments, foreign countries, not vaccinating kids, it's goes on for miles. It’s dormant in most animals, they say it’s the immunity of them, harder to work through, they have to be wounded. On the other hand, it works fast in humans, they switch within mere minutes. Though the origin is unknown, we at least have a name. Parasebrum, a more parasitic form of rabies, the parasites eats into the brain, shutting down all parts of brain except, Lateral hypothalamus, or, the side that tells you to eat. What they tell you to eat? Meaty, tendon stuffed flesh.
It was chaos. People flooded the streets trying to flee; an easy catch for any parasite controlled husk of a person.  I remember the initial shock, the stomach churning crunch of dull teeth breaking open flesh and veins. The smell copper becomes numbing after the first week.
My apartment complex had a large storage basement, and those who were smart enough, all seven of us, took shelter there. I fled into the basement with my dog, Truby.
We shared supplies, water, flashlights, blankets, but after a few weeks, food started running short. Everyone’s stomachs were rumbling; patience was growing thin. Any rations I received I split with Truby. People muttered of it being a waste.
As rations got smaller, people grew bitter. People got violent. Accusations were made,claims of thievery, favouritism, any petty excuses to let out anger. Neighbors, once cup of sugar sharing friends, could no longer stand close without conflict. I kept to myself, being social was never really my thing, especially not conflict, until one day.
There had just been a huge brawl between four residents. One claimed to have seen the other stealing a granola bar. It got ugly. One of them came to me asking for a witness. I never saw anything. He was not happy with this answer. I was lifted from my place on the floor by my shirt. Truby growled in protest. She was greeted with a swift kick to the ribs from the attacker. She slumped to the ground with a whimper. I thrashed in his grip, crying to her still body. The man threw me back to the cement, no longer caring of my presence.
I sat next to her, her breath felt short, and painful. She lifted her tired eyes to mine. The only good left in my world, slipping away. She nuzzled her cold nose to my forearm. Her breathes soon became quick, aggressive. Her yellowed jaw clamped onto my arm. I screeched at the pain of my flesh ripping. Suddenly my arm got warm, streaks of pain like acid shooting to my head overtook me. And then, I was numb.
My head rose to my surroundings, the residents were huddled about me, fear washing over their faces. Their fleshy, pink faces. My body rose, legs lurching themselves forward. Whatever shock I held earlier had dripped away. I didn’t know why I was moving, or what towards. I just knew I was hungry.