The Greater Revolution | Teen Ink

The Greater Revolution

December 12, 2016
By Owen! BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
Owen! BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In a world where IQ is assigned at birth, it turns out there are some big advantages to being perfectly normal. It all started in the second week of highschool, when a most peculiar man approached me. He introduced himself as Mr. Griffin and asked me to follow him. He led me to his office, where he started asking me questions. After maybe 15 minutes, he handed me a packet of papers containing a test on assorted subjects, “When you’re finished, put it on my desk then you may go to class. If the teacher asks where you were, tell them you were with Mr. Griffin.” he said in his gruff old man voice, and walked out of the room.

Geez that was a hard test, but not too hard. By the time I got it finished, it was already halfway through lunch, but nonetheless I put the packet on his desk and my day was back to normal. Fast forward two weeks. One evening, after completing my homework, I was halfway seated on my couch when the phone rang. After I answered, a very high pitched voice told me to state my name, which I did. The voice then told me to walk outside. Waiting in the street was a black SUV. As I approached, the driver side window slowly rolled down and a black outline of a face told me to get in. The drive felt like an eternity, especially because I couldn't get even a peep out of the driver, but at last the SUV slowed and the interior lights flicked on, but just as fast went off as a rough sack was placed over my head. Twisting, turning, up, down, hot, cold, all of my senses stumbling around like drunks in the rain, but at last, light.
It was like emerging from a dark tunnel into a land of beauty, and peace. The room was beautiful, a grand piano in the corner, a enormous TV, chairs and table made of real wood, things only the rich had a access to. Suddenly a voice, it surrounded me, booming off the walls, “Welcome to your room Mr. Carpenter, you will be staying here for the foreseeable future if all things go to plan. You have been selected to partake in a study involving the human brain. It is possible that in your lifetime certain persons like yourself achieving average scores in school will be selected to have an IQ boost. This is all part of a plan to even out wealth and start taking baby steps towards a more level and even society. Tomorrow you will be given the boost, in the meantime make yourself at home.”
“Damn, that's bright!” I say as the lights suddenly flick on. “Good morning, Mr. Carpenter. Are you ready for your big day? You have half an hour to take a shower and get dressed before the boost.”
That was the fastest shower I had ever taken. I hardly even got my hair wet. After what felt like hours of waiting, the door slid open and a little red arrow on the floor lit up. Walking, walking, “Jesus this is taking forever,” I thought, then suddenly I walked head-first into a door where the little red arrows stopped . The door slid open with a cliche hiss. From there I remember very little except waking up feeling like a god. It felt like swimming in a pool full of pure knowledge, but no matter where I swam to it always felt wrong, like the world was relying on me. Suddenly the water was gone and I was back in my body with a gloved hand snapping in front of my face.
“Mr. Carpenter? Mr. Carpenter? Are you in there, how do you feel?”
“Fine,” I said “I feel just the same as I always have.”
But that was a lie. I knew everything, every person's name, birthday, I even knew my times tables to 20. On the long walk back to my room, I was planning, hoping they would let me go as a reject, failure, or lemon so that when I got home I could share this treatment and do something good for once. I don't know if the boost let me predict the future, but I was right on. After a week of watching me, they let me go as a botched project, they told me that sometimes the treatment does not work, and that I could go back to my normal life. As soon as I got home, I got to work hacking the Amazon mainframe and setting up a sterile environment in my living room. Well, in your current state you probably think that DIY neurosurgery and backyard pharmaceutical drug making to be a bit out of reach. So long story short, if you want to join me on my quest for a better tomorrow, go online and order a copy of Revolutions For Dummies. When it arrives, pop the green packing peanut into a glass of water, let it dissolve, and enjoy. Then simply read this letter again and you will know where to find me.   

Sincerely
-Jackson Carpenter