The Apocalypse | Teen Ink

The Apocalypse

By Turboether13 BRONZE, Holyoke, Colorado
Turboether13 BRONZE, Holyoke, Colorado

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jerimiah 29:11

Today was like any other except for one thing the zombie apocalypse had started, I know what your thinking ahh zombies, brain-eating zombies, except these zombies don’t want our brains they just want us to join them. My name is Tom Andrews I am 13, I lived in Long Island but was visiting my grandparents in Florida when the OWT (The Ones Who Have Turned) pushed us down into Florida. The only way to kill the zombies, I know this sounds weird but is to shoot them with laser guns. We don’t have a plan and both my grandparents are missing. As I walked I looked at my parents and wished to myself that this never happened. My thought was interrupted by the sound of bushes rustling nxt us my parents stopped and stepped between the bushes and me. Out of the bushes came a black and white dog. My parents put their guns down and the first thing I asked was “Can we keep it?” I didn’t even think about it, we couldn’t keep it we hardly had enough food to keep us fed. To my surprise my Dad answered first, “You know what son sure.” My Mom nodded in agreement. The task now was to get it tame, but that wasn’t going to be to hard. The dog had already walked up to us and it’s tail was wagging. I pulled a granola bar out of my backpack and fed it to the dog. “I’m going to call you Green,” I decided, but my Mom shook her head and said, “We should name her Bailey.” I decided that was probably better then calling it the color of the OWT. So I walked over to the closest tree ripped a vine down and tied it to Bailey’s wore down, red collar. Once we started walking it only took about 5 minutes to spot a zombie so my Dad shot it. Then it took only another 2 minutes to spot a house. “We should go look for materials in it,” I said. “That’s a great idea,” my Dad answered. “Good eye,” my Mom added. As we walked up to the house I noticed a building, it was bigger than a shed and smaller than a garage. I decided to save that for later. As we walked in the house I went to the closest bedroom and on the dresser was a picture of a young couple and their daughter. As I went through the drawers, all I could find were women's clothes and empty drawers. When I looked in the closet it was empty. “Only the must have made it out,” I said to myself. After I finished searching the bedroom. I looked out the sliding glass door and noticed a doghouse. So I hurried over to the closet by the front door and opened it. Bamm! I was knocked to the ground by a zombie a little bigger than me. I pulled out my gun an boom lights out zombie. My parents came out of their rooms and saw what happened. “That was lucky,” said my Dad. I looked at the closet when I got to my feet and there it was. A brown leather dog leash. I opened the front door and put it n Bailey. We left the house with a dog leash and a couple cans of vegetables. When I stepped outside I heard took in a huge whiff of salty air. I also noticed a piece of paper that read "Refugee island one day trip from the pier. That gave me an idea, what if that shed was a boat garage. “What if that is a boat garage,” I blurted out, “A pier is probably is only a 2 minutes walk and the refugee island is only a day’s trip.” “That is a great idea,” my parents said in unison. I ran over to the shed, busted the lock, and opened the door to find a large canoe. “This is perfect,” I said. As we took it off it’s stands I couldn’t even reach it, my parents were to tall. So I decided to grab the oars. As we walked I looked over at Bailey, her big brown eyes looked at me as we walked. Once we got to the pier there it was, the ocean. Except I couldn’t see it, in front of us was about 15 zombies. I cursed under my breath so my parents wouldn’t hear. I dropped the oars and grabbed my gun. My parents did the same. “On the count of 3 fire,” I said. “3,” my Mom shouted. We opened fire on the zombies. In a couple seconds they were all down. I used the last of the battery energy on that fight and my parents were low. We had to hurry. I picked up the oars and ran as fast as I could. Bailey followed right behind and my parents behind her. My Dad set the boat in the air we all climbed in and my parents started to row. I said a little goodbye to the mainland, at least for a while and drifted off to sleep. I was awoken by the sound of a seagull, I darted up to notice my parents were asleep. In front of us was an island with a sign that said “Humans Welcome”. “Mom, Dad, wake up.” They slowly lifted their heads and smiled. “We made it,” Mom said. Ruff! We all laughed at Bailey. As we got closer to the island Dad hopped out and pulled us to shore. I turned to help Mom and Bailey out. When I turned back around I was greeted by a huge hug from someone who smelled roses. When I looked up it was my Grandma. “How?” I asked. “Your grandpa and I lost you guys and found some people who were on a supply run who took us here.” she answered, “When they said there was a boat with a couple, a son, and a dog I know it had to be you.” “Hello buddy,” my Grandpa said. I hugged him. Now at that moment in time there was nothing else I wanted...except for the apocalypse to end.

This piece was inspired by a game I was playing called Survivalcraft, it was an apocalypse map except the zombies were tigers, bears, lions, leopards, etc..