Click. Click. | Teen Ink

Click. Click.

December 17, 2018
By Anonymous

Flipping the thin page of my book, I skim over the words printed in their oversized font, giving them meaning and importance. "Trust me. I know how it feels. I know how it hurts. I know you cry in the shower so no one will hear your screams. I know you wait until everyone goes to sleep to fall apart. It's not always easy but I know exactly what it feels like."  My eyes gloss as I read the words repeatedly. The pain and suffering from my past is brought back from the words. I cannot stop myself as the unwanted tears fall from my dull blue eyes. As I close my book, I lean my head back, resting on the headrest of my bed, as the eerie silence of my room is broken by the clap of thunder from the oncoming storm. The looming darkness slowly cascades its way throughout my room from my open window. The storm is coming slower to my town as the thunder claps more and more. Each clap causes my mind to slowly drift back to the past I tried so hard to forget. I remember that night vividly like it happened yesterday.

  
Walking down the steps of my house, I tried my best to stay quiet. It’s 11:34 pm and I’m supposed to be asleep, but I heard daddy come home. I miss him so much, mommy had said that he was on a business trip and that he’ll be home soon. I get down the stairs and I hear the quiet yet elegant voice of my mommy. I wonder what they were talking about. For a second, no one talked, but then I heard the crashing sound of glass with a piercing scream coming from my mother. I run towards the room and I watched as my mommy fell down on the ground in front of daddy, holding her head. I screamed for her. My daddy turned to me and I could insistently tell there was something different about him. He started walking towards me, but he was stumbling. I hadn't moved an inch, and he blocked my view of mommy. I looked up towards his face, but he was already looking down at me. He lifted his fist and brought it down directed at my face. 

 
Just as his fist was about to hit my face I jolted my head to the side as if I was trying to get rid of the memory. I can’t stand how this has happened to me. How could I let it come this far? Oh well, there’s nothing I can do anymore. I didn’t even notice my thoughts had led me to my bathroom that’s connected to my room. Looking up in the mirror, I see the more tears falling from my blood-shot red eyes. As I’m staring myself my left-hand grabs a small orange bottle. I start to slowly turn the cap, click. My parents will be heartbroken, click. I can't do this; I'm so selfish, click. I fully open the cap of the bottle and set it back down on the counter. I pick up a cup that’s sitting on the edge of the sink, and I fill it up with water. I dump all of the pure white capsules into my left hand and pick up the cup in my right. I look up into the mirror, my face a sickly pale, and my blood-shot eyes have gotten worse. Pain and suffering is clearly noted in them. I lift the pills and the cup and gulp all of them down in one swallow. I silently walk back to my bed, and I lay back down as I was earlier. I grabbed my book and cradled it into my chest as I started feeling numb and sleepy. There won't be any more pain, I repeat over in my head. The only noise that could be heard was the haunting thunder from the storm that was soon to be overhead. My now dark room was being lit up by the striking lightning. All that's left in my room is my slow dying body and the cold greyness from the looming storm. I reopen my book to the page that caused me to be depressed and dying here on my bed. My eyes slowly yet surely drift over the words that helped me realize my true thoughts all along. "Trust me. I know how it feels. I know how it hurts. I know you cry in the shower so no one will hear your screams. I know you wait until everyone goes to sleep to fall apart. It's not always easy but I know exactly what it feels like." As my eyes glance over the last word, dark circles start to cloud my vision until darkness takes over completely, leaving me cold. Alone. Lifeless.