The Taino Warrior | Teen Ink

The Taino Warrior

March 5, 2014
By LegoBella BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
LegoBella BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Ignorance is bliss


A taino man named Jose was fighting in the African war in Sudan, Africa. The sun was beaming, the ground was dry and it was hot. He had sustained multiple injuries to the head and body area. Many of his comrades had fallen during the battle. After the war, his team had won. Jose and his surviving comrades wanted to go back home to celebrate. He said full of glee, “Let’s return home to tell our loved ones what we’ve done.” He and his friends boarded a plane from the Marsa Alam International Airport in Egypt to the Lafayette Airport in Southern Louisiana.

Meanwhile, a country man named Guillermo was sitting on his porch in the hot summer sun of Louisiana, drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette. Guillermo was bored of sitting outside so he walked inside and started watching television. The living room looked like a modern living room with a flat-screen television, red velvet sofa, loveseat and living chair, a small coffee table and a handmade end-table from China. Guillermo saw on the T.V the remnants of the African War. Guillermo was shocked. After seeing the news, Guillermo turned off the T.V, got up, ran outside, jumped in his Mercedes-Benz GLK 350 and rode to the airport. The plane had just landed.
The airport was nice and air-conditioned inside. Jose got of the plane and went to greet Guillermo. They shook hands and gave each other a friendly man hug. Guillermo and Jose walked to and then jumped into the Benz and headed straight for Guillermo’s home. Guillermo and Jose got out the car and sat on the porch in the hot summer sun. Jose was about to tell Guillermo about the war when Guillermo offered Jose a cigarette.

Jose thanked Guillermo and smoked it. Jose then proceeded to tell Guillermo about the war. Three hours passed and Guillermo was fascinated. It was a tear-filled conversation. He said, “Wow, Jose. That’s amazing and also tragic. I can’t believe some of your friends died in the war.” “I know. My friends were great, too bad I had to see them die.” Jose said. Guillermo then said, “I have an idea! How about we teach people about your culture?\

Then, we can raise cultural awareness!” “Amazing! Let’s do it!” Jose said excitedly. Jose and Guillermo then went to several different schools to teach kids about Jose’s culture. They then became rich, famous and best friends. Before long, Jose and Guillermo’s friendship began to dwindle because of some financial issues. Jose and Guillermo then went their separate ways. Guillermo then gained the friendship of another taino man named Esteban.

Esteban smelled like gunpowder, even though he hasn’t fought in the war. He was an ex-con turned masked murderer out on a killing spree. Guillermo told Esteban all about his ex-friend’s culture. Esteban was fascinated, to the point where he got bored and started not to care anymore so he rapidly walked away from Guillermo. Guillermo went on to be a successful motivational speaker in more than a thousand countries and learned more than twenty different languages.

Jose then became a serial killer and kills everyone he knows in Louisiana including Chris. He gets arrested and sent to prison; he dies 10 years later due to starvation. Esteban went from a murderer to a successful CEO of a big business in which he lead with a gentle fist and a genuine heart. These three men learned about Taino culture in more ways than one. They now know how Tainos aren't only killers but they’re kind and genuine.