The Murder of Kaitlyn Colton | Teen Ink

The Murder of Kaitlyn Colton

By Halle Roleson BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Halle Roleson BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

It has been three years since Kaitlyn Colton died in a fire. After the fire, Kaitlyn’s family moved away. Seeing Kaitlyn’s friends and the memorial of their daughter was too hard to bare. The house did not completely burn. It was just damaged on the inside. The house still remains empty, reminding everyone of the terrible accident that took Kaitlyn’s life. Most people learn to accept death and move on, but for some reason, people had a hard time of letting Kaitlyn go.
Kaitlyn Colton was very well known in the small town she lived in. Kaitlyn had a way of making people feel special. She wasn’t exactly the nicest girl, but she sure could fake it. There was just something about her that made people want to be her friend.
There had been so many stories as to what really happened to Kaitlyn Colton. Some people say, “She lit a candle and accidentally knocked it over.” Others say, “It was an electrical glitch.” Of course, no one will ever really know what really happened.
The third year anniversary of Kaitlyn’s death had just passed and something weird had occurred. An old neighbor of the Colton’s, Mrs. Jackson, was planting flowers. As she was planting flowers, she had found an old lighter. Of course, Mrs. Jackson thought it was odd finding an old lighter in her backyard. So, she turned it in to the police station. Tests were being done on the lighter. Fingerprints were found on the lighter, and no, they were not Mrs. Jackson’s fingerprints. The prints didn’t match. The prints that were found were small, almost like a child’s prints.
Kaitlyn used to have three best friends, Lily Tate, Tessa Young, and Blair Baker. What used to be an inseparable bond between four friends, is now three girls who are like strangers towards each other. The finding of the lighter brought them closer than before. They were going to solve the murder of Kailyn Colton. Lily, Tessa, and Blair decided to sneak into the old Colton house for clues. Some rooms look just like they used to, as if nothing happened. The girls slowly walk up the stairs. The house is silent, aside from the stairs squeaking. Tessa was leading the way to Kaitlyn’s room. She opens the door, “Wow,” whispered Tessa. “My thoughts exactly,” said Blair. “It doesn’t even look like the room we spent so many nights in. Okay guys, split up and look for anything out of place,” said Lily. The girls nodded and began walking slowly around the room. “Um, guys,” said Blair, “You might want to see this.” The girls hurry over to where Blair was standing. “What is it?” asked Lily. No one answered; they just stared at the picture on the wall. It was a picture of Kaitlyn and her little sister, Emma. Emma is two years younger than the girls. No one hated Kaitlyn more than Emma. Emma was always so jealous of Kaitlyn. Their parents always gave Kaitlyn everything she wanted, and Emma loathed her for it. Written on the photo it said, “Sorry sis.”
It took the girls only a few days to put the pieces together. The girls went to visit Emma. “Emma, I cannot believe how big you are now,” said Blair. “Yeah,” said Emma with no expression on her face. “Why are you guys here?” Emma asked. The girls looked at each other with wide eyes. “You all think I killed Kaitlyn, don’t you?” said Emma. Once again, the girls looked at each other in silence. “Well did you?” asked Blair. An evil smirk appeared on Emma’s face. “I was tired of her being everyone’s favorite. What was so great about her?” asked Emma. The girls left immediately and went straight to the police station. Two days later on the news, the reporter said that Emma Colton was arrested for the murder of Kaitlyn Colton. Now everyone knows the truth. It was not an accident, but pure jealousy that killed Kaitlyn Colton that summer.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences