Midsummer Night | Teen Ink

Midsummer Night

May 12, 2016
By Shakem BRONZE, Neosho Rapids, Kansas
Shakem BRONZE, Neosho Rapids, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It all started on a midsummer night, when the moon was shining bright, and wind was whispering through the trees. The rustle of bushes and trees echoed through the trail to a little, old house where a little girl sat on a rock, staring at a reflection in the puddle before her.
The flickering of the lantern followed the tall, broad shadow casted on the house.  The howl of coyotes filled the air, as laughter of kids came about.
“Momma, momma, look what I found! “ She said as she held of a white rose.
“It will look beautiful with your long brown hair and hazel eyes Emma,” she  said as she placed the flower in Emma’s hair.
Emma ran towards the house smiling and saying,
“Daddy, daddy, look what mommy—“ She paused as a gunshot sounded.
Emma thought nothing of it and continued in. The trail of blood splattered on the floor lead to the body of Emma’s father.
“Mommy!! Daddy’s hurt! Help him mommy, help him!” Emma screamed.
She rushed into the house, and collapsed when she saw the terrifying scene. The tears ran down from her green eyes, as she hustled to try to save him, but he had lost too much blood.
“It’s too late…he’s gone,” she whispered to Emma.
She took Emma into her arms, and held her tight as tears came down their cheeks like rain.
Why did he do it? He had a family, did he even think about what he has done to his daughter? She thought to herself.
She dialed 911,
“911, what is your emergency—“

“Emma? Are you awake?”
Emma slowly opened her eyes and sat up slowly, and took a deep breath in, and even slipped a couple tears. She started looking around,
“Where’s dad?”
She then realized that she was in a hospital, looking down at her arms, where IVs stuck out of her arms,
“Why are we here? Where’s dad?”
Her mom whispered to the doctor, as the nurse was telling Emma to calm down,
“She doesn’t remember, doctor.”
She looked over at Emma, and told her,
“Honey, You were in a horrible car accident with your dad. You have been in a coma, and your… your dad didn’t make it.”
It was that moment when Emma remembered everything. She started having illusions of the car wreck over and over. She was in tears,
“I remember, I remember everything…”


The author's comments:

One of my favorite music artist in Luke Bryan.