Offseason Moves | Teen Ink

Offseason Moves

By JLeonard BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
JLeonard BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

All Mets fans want to see is the front office make acquisitions to improve the team. During the trade deadline in 2015, the Mets traded for Yoenis Cespedes who led them to a World Series appearance. Since then there haven't been any other impressive moves. Recently, the Mets added Brodie Van Wagenen to become their new General Manager. Coming off a disappointing 2018 season, Van Wagenen promised to bring the Mets back to their winning ways. Here is a following list of the players the Mets have acquired, with their corresponding positions, throughout the offseason thus far.

Robinson Cano (2B) - Trade with Seatle Mariners

Edwin Diaz (RP) - Trade with Seatle Mariners

Wilson Ramos (C ) - 2 Years, $19 Million

Jed Lowrie (INF) - 2 Years, $20 Million

Keon Broxton (OF) - Trade with Milwaukee Brewers

Jeurys Familia (RP) - 3 Years, $30 Million

J.D. Davis (INF) - Trade with Houston Astros

For the first time in years, Mets fans’ prayers have been answered. Van Wagenen has had a very busy yet successful offseason thus far. These moves finally have given the Mets depth and many choices. However, with the addition of many new infielders, it has introduced some controversy. Who is going to play where and when? The Mets added three new infielders to their already filled infield. Robinson Cano is indefinitely going to be the starting second baseman on opening day. This means Jeff McNeil will fluctuate between the outfield and third base to share time with Todd Frazier. Shortstop is another problem, Amed Rosario at the end of the year last year began to heat up at the plate. With adding 2018 All-Star, Jed Lowrie who is coming off of one of his best years, it leaves a tough choice for Van Wagenen. J.D. Davis will start the year in the minor leagues, however, if the Mets decide to bring him up, he will likely split time at second and third base as well. Despite there being controversy upon where everyone will fill in, this will all be addressed by Brodie.

The numerous moves made have drastically improved the Mets as a whole. They added many young and very promising talent as well as adding veterans who will serve as leaders on the team. Going into the offseason the Mets had four needs for improvement. These include a stronger option at catcher as well as center field, add depth to the bullpen, and lastly to build up the farm system (Minor Leagues). With the addition of Wilson Ramos and Keon Broxton, the Mets answered. Wilson Ramos had the highest batting average among qualifying catchers last season. Furthermore, Keon Broxton will serve the role as a leader for the young talent across this roster as well as play lockdown defense in center field.

The Mets’ bullpen throughout the 2018 season had many ups and downs. Without having a definite closer, it made it very difficult to win and finish up ballgames. Edwin Diaz is coming off a historic season where he won the Reliever of The Year award. He will fill the closer position in their bullpen. A key part of the World Series run in 2015, was Jeurys Familia. The Mets traded him midway through the season last year to the Oakland Athletics. With him being a free agent after the conclusion of the season, Van Wagenen decided to pick him up adding depth to the bullpen.

Personally, I think Brodie Van Wagenen has done an exceptional job since taking the position. He promised Met fans that he was going to do everything in his power to bring the Mets back to their winning ways. With the accusations he made I truly think that the Mets can compete at a high level this year. Van Wagenen addressed the Mets’ needs as well as added depth to the roster. The situation of where is everyone going to play is already being worked on by Brodie. I am very excited for the 2019 season as well as the future of the organization.