TikTok is the Number One Source for Spreading Fake Information | Teen Ink

TikTok is the Number One Source for Spreading Fake Information

March 9, 2021
By Anonymous

TikTok is spreading fake news through entertainment to users all over the world faster than any other source. TikTok is an app that a lot of people love for many reasons. Everybody can make content and share it with the world. Although that seems fun, people post content that is not true and then the content goes viral. Those actions result in creating conflict between users and major spreading of misinformation.

Considering anybody has access to posting on social media this can be a big problem. People are extremely opinionated these days, and try to convince others to think how they do even if their sources of how they got their information is unreliable. Creators can form opinions from anywhere on the internet and bring it onto TikTok. Which can later be brought to other social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. As you can see, it is very easy for any type of information to be spread on the internet.

Fake news being spread on this app relates to everyone! Users on TikTok range from age 10-100. Quartz says that TikTok is meant to be a fun platform to share things like memes. They claim the app is “fun until it’s not”. The app is very popular, so misinformation is not to be taken lightly. Currently, on the app there are endless amounts of content about the debate, Covid-19, and many more controversial topics. These are of course trending conversations, but it becomes a problem when inaccurate information is going.

With all of that being said, TikTok staff has actually launched an “Anti-Disinformation Campaign”.  Variety News said that the company TikTok claims that the safety of their users is the utmost important. The video sharing platform works hard everyday to limit the amount of false information getting out. Variety News states that TikTok encourages creators to be informed with what they post, and to keep in mind what others might think. As for viewers, their advice is to not believe everything you see and to “be informed”.

In conclusion, false narratives come from TikToks with millions of views. When this happens many things can go wrong. Including false information being spread all around. They are working hard to limit videos like this, but to completely stop the spread of misinformation everybody must play their part accordingly.

 


Works Cited

Spangler, Todd, and Todd Spangler. “TikTok Launches Anti-Disinformation PSA Campaign to Warn Users about Spreading Fake Info.” Variety, 17 July 2020, variety.com/2020/digital/news/tiktok-safety-anti-disinformation-videos-fake-1234709444/. Accessed 20 Feb. 2021.

Kozlowska, Hanna. “TikTok Could Be the next Social Platform Plagued with Disinformation.” Quartz, 1 Nov. 2019, qz.com/1739625/how-tiktok-could-be-used-as-a-tool-for-disinformation/.

Paul, Kari. “TikTok: False Posts about US Election Reach Hundreds of Thousands.” The Guardian, 6 Nov. 2020, www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/nov/05/tiktok-us-election-misinformation.


The author's comments:

This was a research project for my AP Lang class and we were required to submit it.