Business Creation | Teen Ink

Business Creation

By julianb BRONZE, New York, New York
julianb BRONZE, New York, New York

Life isnt about getting and having, its about giving and being.

Every time an entrepreneur sets out on a venture to find something that can be improved or reshaped they take a huge risk. If you never risk something you may never know the outcome that possibly could have been positive. Founders of the major 500 fortune companies such as popular figures: Google, Apple, and Dell all started off in a small basement that eventually grew into the major companies they are today. But why do some start-ups fail? Among the many factors that come into play for success, location and surrounding are major. Usually business start off with a good concept but fail due to poor execution for many different reasons. None the less start-ups should still strive for perfection even though there will never be anything “perfect”. Once owners are fully satisfied with the outcome,, its usually fine to introduce whatever it may be to the public. Infographic Author, Anna Vital expresses general steps that one might take on the road to success in the business/ entrepreneur world. Yvette Leeper-Bueno, a restaurateur, explains all the hard labor that goes into creating a restaurant. “From dealing with the construction, the design team, the compliance with the long list of city requirements, the finance of the project and the creation of an idea with the right intention behind, it is a lot of work” says Yvette. The most important thing Yvette says is “having the right intention behind any business idea, which is the heart and soul of any entrepreneurial activity which in the long run will manifest as a success story.”

In order to start and grow, every start up business needs financial support behind it in order to grow. A reputable source from entrepreneur.com states some of the possible different ways you can raise money if you don't have it yourself that is. You can seek funding from websites such as: kickstarter.com and SBA.gov or seek funding from family and friends keeping it “strictly financial”. Another way to fund your project is by seeking the support of “angel investors”, who are people that invest a certain amount of money in exchange for equity.

Then comes marketing. Yvette expresses that, “marketing is how you present your idea and make your idea be known to people. Through marketing you not only allow your business to be recognized but also create a brand, which is how people perceive you.” Thanks to the internet and social media, marketing is more accessible than before . There is accessible ad space everywhere. Alon Seifert, an entrepreneur and founder of Trophy Buffet says that “In today's marketplace, you can tailor your advertisements in a more precise form than before to reach your audience without wasting resources.”

As you can already start to see, there are multiple different things that go into the process of creating and maintaining a business. But the question that drove me to choose this topic is to find out why some businesses fail and others don't. I used to see many shops around my neighborhood open up and then close a short while after. Was it something to do with the businesses surroundings or neighborhood?

When I say success I mean fulfilling your vision, maintaining your intention, and as a result making a profit. You can look at an idea from different angles and one of them is where your product or service will be placed. You can fulfill a need or you can create a need like cell phones. Adrian Bueno, an entrepreneur and founder of Mindful Harlem suggests that “your creativity shouldn't have limits, any obstacle along the way in the life of an entrepreneur is an opportunity for learning and enrichment.” Keeping this idea in mind will be useful but don't let it be discouraging.

In Harlem, which has become an upcoming area, a lot of stores have opened and closed, which has made me think that the reasons of their failure and success cannot be single reasoned. Adrian, who is also the the owner of Vinateria Harlem, a Spanish-Italian restaurant on 119th street and Frederick Douglass avenue believes that “success and failure stories are interesting and complex… but the life of an entrepreneur will be populated by challenges and their success will be a direct result of how those challenges are dealt with”. Overall, it is encouraging to see the progression in Harlem being the home and incubator of new entrepreneurs.