Gender Roles and the Workplace | Teen Ink

Gender Roles and the Workplace

By Gabby1234 BRONZE, New York, New York
Gabby1234 BRONZE, New York, New York

Are roles in the workplace distinguished by gender?

Gender roles are developed by the process called gender typing. During this process, children acquire the values, motives, and behaviors viewed as appropriate for males and females within their culture. Children develop gender-based beliefs, largely on the basis of gender stereotypes, which results in gender roles. Children adopt a gender identity early in life and develop gender-role preferences as well according to the article Gender Roles and Gender Differences by the McGraw Companies.

“Gender roles developed from the earliest days in history due to different body types between genders and different roles in sexual reproduction . . BUT there are examples of early people in history where women were more dominant in their society than men,” said Ms.Strassler, a social studies teacher.

Gender roles are also known as the norms we associate men and women with based on behavior, social rankings and biological factors. These concepts have been around since the beginning of time and still affect people today, especially women in the workplace. Equality is achieved when people of both genders are able to access the same opportunities and enjoy the same rewards, however women have not had access to the same opportunities as men.

These patterns can be seen through history: men were supposed to support the family, while the women stayed home and cared for the family. Women tend to struggle more, are more likely to spend their last years in poverty, are more likely to never advance as far as men in their careers, and earn less, according to The American Historical Society. As time progresses the goals of women change and some revolt against these so called norms that make them smaller to an extent than men. Men still hold the highest leadership positions such as president and more men are now becoming open to taking more responsibility for child care, cooking, and cleaning.

Ms.Jenkins, a global feminism teacher, explained that gender roles are also created by "stereotypes involving who we trust to be in control, both men and women prefer men to be in power."

Ms.Jenkins explains she has never felt intimidated by men in the workplace of education. However, when she was working in an office for the DMV in college, she had a boss who commented on what she wore. At the time she did not think it was unusual, but seven years later he was being investigated for sexual harassment. Since she is a feminist, she said if a situation like that was to happen again she would be more aware and comfortable in saying something.

However, at the iSchool many females are at high positions such as principal. This eliminates gender roles and creates more of an equal space versus some sort of competition.

Before working as a teacher, Ms. Strassler worked in advertising. She said education is pretty equal in modern days, but said "any corporate business is a bit more difficult for women who were trying to balance work and family. Men who did not feel quite as responsible for taking time off with young children seemed to be able to move up the corporate ladder faster."

According to Ms.Charter, a Spanish teacher, most men advance in their careers because, over time, society has created more of a trust in men to take on bigger responsibilities.

“ idea is that they have earned and can handle the duties of directing a school whereas a woman can be perceived as being too maternal and too easy going with the school," says Ms.Charter.

In the workplace of a elementary school or middle school there are more women administrators. The job of teaching is something that has been dominated by women due to their femininity. However, in recent days there have been more male teachers. “This is because when teachers began to join the organized labor movement and salaries went up and when school became required for all young people, we needed more instructors," said Ms.Strassler

Gender roles known as a hot topic to talk about, yet not many try to change the inequality between genders. "When men were more in control of business and politics, there was a lot of writing and discussion about women being the ‘weaker sex.’ Those that promoted that idea found success and those that argued against that idea were considered radical or even criminal,” said Ms.Strassler.

These gender roles don't only result in inequality, but men also benefit from gender roles with privileges. These privileges are displayed all the time, such as guys sitting on trains with legs spread apart, according to Ms. Jenkins. Even the simplest things such as space on public transportation can be associated with gender roles and some argue that it needs to end.

Methods to giving more equality to women can be as simple as listening to the women in our lives to help men be more aware of their privileges. We can even help stop these roles from spreading to the younger generations by creating a society where blue blankets do not only belong to baby boys, Ms.Jenkins says.

Organizations such as NOW (National Organization for Women) work to change the laws to improve women's rights and freedoms.