The Gamer's Guide to Buying a Computer | Teen Ink

The Gamer's Guide to Buying a Computer

By SinOfGreed BRONZE, New York City, New York
SinOfGreed BRONZE, New York City, New York

When buying a new computer, the possibilities are endless. Here, I’m going to help you out with singling them out to what you want. I don’t have the patience to make this long, and neither do you have the patience to read much. Right now, I will assume you will be using websites like Amazon to buy a computer. Please note this. What you should look at first would be to see if the product you are buying is New, Used or Refurbished. I would recommend New, as the product will likely turn out better, although, if you have a low budget, you could go with the latter. Next would be to look at the width of the screen. This is for laptops, later, I will discuss desktops. For the size of the screen, if you are a gamer like me, I would recommend 15” and up. Of course, if you are a nerd, choose the size you are the most comfortable with. Next are the Specs, meaning the parts of the computer, making it unique.

1. RAM
2. Graphics Card
3. Hardrive

Of course, you computer freaks out there would be tearing your heart out of how I didn’t include all of them. Remember, your peers might not be as bright. ;)

First up is the RAM. A good amount would be 4 – 16 GBs. If you want it cheaper, I would recommend 8GBs as 4 is good, but inferring that you all are teens, you will likely buy a better computer if unsatisfied, so to save you and your parents’ time, I would recommend 8GBs. 16GBs Ram is amazing, but the unnecessary Ram might be wasted unless you do something big like editing videos.

The graphics card is the blood and tears of every PC gamer. This is the key difference between poor gaming and superior gaming. It is a common misconception that the higher the clock speed, the better the graphics card. That is unnecessarily true as some 3Ghz. Cards are worse than 2Ghz. Cards. Nowadays most Graphic Cards use AMD, like Intel Core and NVIDIA. However, NVIDIA is slightly more advantageous so I would recommend it.

The Hardrive is the lifeblood of the computer. Having a terrible hardrive will destroy it or crown it the King Of Gaming. There are currently two types of hardrives. They are SSD, meaning Solid-Slate Drive and HDD, meaning Hard-Disk Drive. Essentially, HDD is saved on a metal disk that is constantly spinning and is scanned when acquiring information. This causes it to take a short time to access it. However, SSD has its data saved in a pool of NAND flash, meaning it helps your overall performance. Everything is overall faster, making your work easier. This is able to let SSD able to compete with its rival HDD, which was here longer and is more popular because of its cost. Unfortunately, SSD is much more expensive and is uncommon in cheap computer. If you find one, you should look into it immediately.

All these apply to desktops as well as laptops. However, many desktops don’t come with monitors, keyboards or mice. For mice, I would recommend a mouse with weight settings as well as DPI, or sensitivity settings. Warning: This recommendation is for gamers. Keyboards, most being similar just needs to be decided by you. Monitors, a recommended screen size, should be familiar to you so you should choose it yourself, but you should see the 1080p monitors or even 1440p although it is expensive.

Hehehehe, I said this was going to be short. I tricked you. However, thanks for making it this far into the work. Btw, you should see if the name has “server” in it as that is for office use and is not suitable for gaming.