Nerve Wreaking Crew | Teen Ink

Nerve Wreaking Crew

March 10, 2015
By B3CAH BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
B3CAH BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's Not Worth Winning If You Don't Have To Fight For It"


Many thoughts swirled through my mind as I entered the school’s gym, ‘Why did I even join Link Crew?’ First days were always exciting, but at this time of the year the Phoenix heat is unbearable. As I entered the perfectly cool gym my ears were immediately filled with Mrs Pavone’s enthusiastic voice making me smile, Mrs Pavone has been one of my favourite teachers since we met the previous year, and I had missed her cheerfulness over the summer.
        

I spotted my friends and run towards them accepting neon orange shirt that represented Link Crew and putting it on. Link Crew is a club created to help freshmen have an easier transition to high school, which I absolutely love, but the fact that we had to wear such bright shirts did not appeal to me too much. We started organizing the nametags and making our own, which soon turned into a semi competition of who could make the best looking one. Suddenly the coordinators began to gather us all together and with a few words of encouragement Mrs Pavone smiled at us and with a final countdown and cheer my head started spinning once again and she send us on our way. We lined up at the door and the music began to play loudly, show, don’t tell matching the uncontrollable thump in my chest. As the minutes passed show, don’t tell my hands began to sweat and I felt like I could throw up at any time, and although I could blame it on the wow vocabulary feverous weather I knew I would just be lying to myself.
        

Cheers erupted as the new class generation filled the bleachers. As I looked at them I couldn’t help but remember two years ago when that was me, nervous, afraid of not making any friends, figurative language I was a lost puppy among big, secure wolves. I was never a people person, which scared me then and surely scares me now, but that was one of the reasons Mrs Pavone wanted me to join the club, to “bring me out of my shell and stop being so shy.” I knew many freshmen were just as scared as I was, and I decided I was going to do everything in my power to make them feel welcome and comfortable.
        

The assembly seemed like one of those movies where a person is in the middle a room and everything around that person moves in fast motion. Suddenly the parallel structure   cheering, clapping, yelling and running stopped and soon we were lining up in groups and the nausea returned, only this time stronger. Short sentence I would no longer have my friends or the coordinators to help me. It was only seven young strangers and I. short sentence. I awkwardly led my group to the classroom assigned us, the boiling vocab atmosphere only making me feel more dizzy, and once again made me hate living in Arizona. We got settled in our room, with the help of my intimidating teacher, me towering over them as they sat on the floor, which I was thankful for because show, don’t tell I was in a clear height disadvantage. I read my script as I had plan, but it made me sound robotic, forcing me to improvise in attempt to sound more human.
        

As play the games we rehearsal over the summer meetings I began to feel better, however I could not say the same for my new students, I stopped our game of juggling balls for a moment and asked them how they thought the game allied to school, they looked among each other gauchely vocab, as if daring each other to say something first, finally one of them, Joshua, accepted the dare. As we continued with the games I could feel them easing up, some more than others but it was progress, when the time to play name tagging came they began to feel a little insure again because they still didn’t know each other quite well and they were just running around hollering “Who is Daisy?” “Where is Matthew?” it was quite humorous and I had to help them many time to vocab evoke the rules of the game. I was never one to have tons of patience, in fact one of the reasons I love being in advance classes is because we move on fast and no one wastes time, but this job truly pushed me out of my comfort zone, since I also had to keep my serenity with them.
        

As we approached the end of our time together, their desperation to leave was evident, which brought me down slightly, but it did not surprised me, children younger than me but older than two years old never seem to fancy me, nor me them. That day did not go as I had plan, but would not called it a total lost, Joshua was actually quite fond of me and we became friends. My relationship with the rest of my group is not as thriving but I was able to have friendship with many other freshmen. Without knowing it those seven strangers helped me to figurative language spread my wings and fly, instead of staying in a cage for protection and comfort. Epiphany moment Now I am ready for next year and I am determinate to be the best link leader the next generation could ever ask for.