An Organic Idea | Teen Ink

An Organic Idea MAG

By mjenkins BRONZE, Santa Margarita, California
mjenkins BRONZE, Santa Margarita, California

"When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it."

“Once again we are walking in nature like an elephant in the china cabinet,” said Dutch scientist C.J. Briejer. This quote is true and has been for decades. Today, the elephant has endless energy, and this china cabinet has millions of doors just waiting to be opened. Silent Spring, by Rachel Carson, informed us in 1962 of the destruction humans were causing the environment by using chemicals.
Throughout the pages of Silent Spring, there were warnings about what would occur if we didn't take action to protect the environment. After describing a town that had been polluted with chemicals, Carson wrote, “A grim specter has crept upon us almost unnoticed, and this imagined tragedy may easily become a stark reality we all shall know.” Later in the book, she also asserted, “We urgently need an end to these false assurances, to the sugar coating of unpalatable facts.” I couldn't agree more.
Reality isn't pretty. We face an uncertain future. Being involved in the political process and being aware of who I am supporting is critical to creating change. Honesty from our politicians and knowing where their money comes from is also key.
“As applications of pesticides continue and virtually indestructible residues continue to build up in the soil, it is almost certain that we are heading for trouble,” wrote Carson. Though it's easier to buy from companies growing crops with the help of pesticides, consumers need to realize that easy is not the answer. By buying organic foods, and foods that aren't overprocessed, I am helping the cause Carson spoke out about so long ago.
Later in the book she states, “It is more than clear that we are traveling on a dangerous road.” This road is driven by more than just attempting to rid produce of insects. It's also a result of our wanting to have more than we actually need. Carson writes, “Man has forgotten his origins and is blind even to his most essential needs for survival.” Though some would say it is our place to use nature to our advantage and live above it, I believe it's our place to live with it. It's puzzling how humans' brains are so developed compared to other animals but we can't seem to figure out a solution to the vast problems we have created.
Silent Spring has forced me to evaluate my place in the world and how the decisions of one person can impact change. Through her book, Carson influenced generations of readers and changed how they view the world – how we feel about the food we eat, the air we breathe, and the products we buy. She called attention to the dangers of DDT on living things, especially the bald eagle, and influenced the decision to ban it in the U.S. in 1972.
By taking small steps to help the environment, I can have an impact just as Carson has. Her work has inspired me to pursue a career in protecting endangered animals. Because so much is at stake, I intend to make the right choices for myself and the environment, even if it isn't the easiest or least expensive option. By carrying these values through my life I hope to be part of the solution to this massive problem.
Our disregard for the fragility of nature is leading to our ruin – an idea so compelling and terrifying that I am forced to reexamine my own responsibilities and future. Silent Spring stimulated me to look at the big picture. I am now more conscious of the products I buy, the food I consume, and the path I intend to travel through life. As a believer in the good of nature, I hope that my actions will inspire others, just as Rachel Carson inspired me.

I feel really strongly about the environment and this piece is a response to the book SILENT SPRING, by Rachel Carson

Oh and what year did Racheal Carson die because i know that president George Bush let Monsanto genetically modify produce thinking it was really cool (even though he had no idea what they were doing)

I really enjoyed reading your article but I would have liked it better if you had talked about GMO foods and what they do to the environment. Still it was an awesome article keep writing :D