Nutritious Eating | Teen Ink

Nutritious Eating

Food can be a useful tool when it comes to maintaining mental and physical health. Meals that contain nutritious food and vitamins and minerals can help boost brain function, mood and overall health. Here are nine foods that have numerous health benefits and two recipes that contain these ingredients. Throughout my life, my mom and I have used nutritious foods as a way of improving our moods and overall health since I could remember. My mom taught me everything I know about healthy eating and forming a healthy relationship with food. The ingredients and recipes I have included below are examples of my mom and I’s favorite foods to keep us healthy and happy.

Avocados contain Omega-3 fatty acids that can slow age-related mental decline, and help with memory and mood + various vitamins.

Blueberries have antioxidants, fight against stress, inflammation, and improve communication between brain cells. 

Feta contains vitamin B12 that supports brain health and cognitive function and iron that is good for preventing anemia.

Dark chocolate has flavonoids that may help with memory and mood.

Walnuts contain brain-boosting nutrients such as vitamin E which protects cells and help slow cognitive decline.

Eggs are rich in multiple B vitamins, folate, and choline which help in regulating mood and promoting brain function and development.

Green tea has caffeine which boosts alertness, antioxidants that protect the brain, and L-theanine which have relaxing effects.

Oranges are high in vitamin C which help defend the brain against damage from free radicals.

Oats help reduce the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol.

Breakfast (Scrambled eggs with avocados and side of orange slices)

Serves 1

Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 avocado
1 orange 
2 tbsp feta cheese
Salt & pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 slices of multigrain bread 
Green tea bag + boiling water 

Directions:

Warm a medium-sized skillet on medium low heat while whisking the eggs in a bowl with a fork. Put the olive oil in the warmed skillet and pour in whisked eggs. Then stir the eggs with a spatula until clumps form and cook until desired. Less cooking time results in wetter scrambled eggs while more cooking time results in dryer scrambled eggs. While eggs are cooking, toast two slices of multigrain bread. Once eggs are cooked (about 6-8 minutes), take off heat and let sit in a pan while preparing the toast and avocado. Once bread is toasted, transfer onto a plate and mash the avocado on both slices of bread with a fork. Then add scrambled eggs and feta cheese. If desired, add salt and pepper. Make green tea and slice orange slices. 

Snack (Blueberry oatmeal muffins with walnuts and dark chocolate chips)

Serves 12

Time: 1 hour & 10 minutes

Ingredients: 

1 cup flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats 
1 cup milk
¼ cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup blueberries
¼ cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup applesauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
¼ cup softened butter
½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Combine milk and oats. Then set aside for 20 minutes. In a small bowl mix together the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and ground cinnamon.

In a large bowl mix together the applesauce, maple syrup, the softened butter, vanilla extract, plain low-fat yogurt and oats. Then fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Last fold in the blueberries, chopped walnuts, and dark chocolate chips. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and fill each paper liner about ¾ full with the batter. Then bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick put in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Leave muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack until completely cool and enjoy!

I was diagnosed with hereditary migraines as well as chronic Lyme disease when I was fourteen. My options for treatment were medication for my migraines or supplements. My parents and I agreed that I did not want to be on medication because of the side effects so we turned to nutritious food instead. Since then my mom has been creating healthy recipes to improve my symptoms as well as helping me stay as healthy as possible. The recipes in this article are ones that my mom created using nutrient-rich ingredients.